Compressors: dos & don'ts?

I'm enjoying life (sad, I know!) with my first compressor (belt-driven,

twin-pot, 100ltr). Are there any general dos and don'ts to look out for

in owning, using and maintaining a compressor? For example, is it okay to leave it pressurised with air or should the tank be emptied?

The manual is very thin gruel to say the least!

Any pointers much appreciated.

Reply to
Jerry

Apart from occasionally checking the oil in the pump, draining any water that accumulates in the tank and cleaning the air inlet filter they don't need much attention. It is ok to leave the air in the tank as well.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Also don't start and stop the compressor by switching the supply, use the knob on the pressure switch as it probably tells you in the instructions. A lot of people don't think this matters but it does, the switch vents a length of pipe so that when the pump starts it's off load until the pipe fills, thus minimising the starting currents.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Well mines sits outside, under a cover, and has done for the last 18 years, never changed the belts, air filter, or anything.

Changed the oil about 8 years ago for fully sythetic.

I switch it on via a cooker switch in the garage, but as the previous post, I never switch it off while its running, so it has time to vent.

it is just a normal hobby type comressor 3HP 14 cfm, but it gets some real stick, offten running for hours on end while using a DA or the shot blasting cabinet.............

You do realise now i have typed this the bloody thing will blow up at the weekend!!!!!

Gary

Jerry wrote:

Reply to
gary

Drain it religiously at least every week if you are using it continously, and never store it without draining it.

Steve

Reply to
steve

the new one came with instructions to drain it eacg time after use - don't be holding your breath tho'

Derek

Reply to
Derek

We used one in the hospital for a floating aerotable and had to have the tank welds inspected by endoscope every two years. Dunno if that applies to a domestic unit or not. We were running at around

180 psi. TonyB
Reply to
TonyB