Taking top off Defender 90

Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer on taking the top off a Defender 90.If it makes any difference it is a Jreg (91) 200 Tdi Hardtop. The reason for wanting to do this is to replace the approx 2" deep strip that goes round the load area between the tub and the top - and which has become very corroded at the welds used to join the various short bits of strip together - presumably to save tuppence. I have sourced some new pieces of strip - but how to proceed from here.It looks as if you need to split the top from the tub - and maybe the top front edge from the windscreen.Or is there enough 'give' in the top to avoid that. Advice on all aspects of this would be appreciated. It sounds the sort of project that might be the subject of one of those pictorial tutorials in one of the LR mags/websites. Any pointers in that direction would also be gratefully received. Many thanks.

Hawkeye

Reply to
Hawkeye23

Come on now, it's a Landrover, just unbolt the thing and cut the seal at the windscreen top if it won't pull off, then just reseal it with silicon when you refit it.

Reply to
Oily

Undo bolts above windscreen Undo bolts between load bed and top Remove seatbelt shoulder mounts Remove top

Not rocket science.

I took a 110 top off myself so you'll have no trouble with a 90.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Check out Jakes thread here.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I haven't done it myself, but am told by reputable sources that the body capping you want to change is riveted and bonded to the body tub so might not come off as easily as you expect! I understand that heat helps. Otherwise as others have said; a bolt at each corner of the tub and a row of them across the top of the windscreen. Any thick self adhesive foam seal will do when you put it back; I have done that bit myself. Gordon.

Reply to
gordon

Thankyou all for your advice and pointers.I am now slightly less daunted than when I posted the original question. Though I am a bit anxious about Gordon's warning about complications with removing/replacing the cappings. On the other hand I was very pleased with Lee's Jake Thread on Mud Club which has photos of actually replacing the cappings (without going into too much detail) but more importantly does it without taking the roof off at all.He takes the side off - first one and then the other without disturbing the roof/windscreen joint. I like the sound of that better. Many thanks.

Hawkeye

Reply to
Hawkeye23

On a 90, it's probably easier to undo the bottom side bolts, seat belt top mounts and windscreen fixings than it is to remove the sides completely, and just take the whole top off as one piece. However that might change if you have bits fixed to the roof. There's probably not much in it really. I've fitted three roofs to my Defender 110 and never bothered with sealing above the windscreen, there was rubbery sponge up there on every roof and the compression of the bolts on this meant that it's never leaked.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings