Defender Wipers....Again

Hi all,

For the last 2 1/2 year my wipers have never worked on intermittent and never park as they should.

A bit of searching through previous threads found the thread below from Richard:

"Sound like the park switch (Diode) has failed - 520160 £11.98. Its mounted in the side of the wiper motor body and is cunning disguised to look like an ordinary connecor. It's a bit of a faff to get at, but easily changed."

Changing the diode sounds like it will rectify the parking, but thats the lesser of my two evils... What I really want is intermittent wipers. Any ideas where to start looking for this problem, or will the diode pack by some good fortune fix both my problems!!??

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

The park diode failure is causing the intermittent not to work too.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Excellent. Its not often you can fix multiple problems with 1 new bit!!!

Looks like I need to get to the wiper motor...

What needs to come off to get to the motor (200Tdi Defender) - Havent got Haynes to hand? I am guessing the grab handle on the LHS of the dash, the plastic trim / capping that goes along the top of the rear wash wipe switch housing and then the plastic housing below the grab handle??

Is there an easy way to dismember the plastic trim?

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

It's easier than that....

Prize out the "LR" badge on the grab handle to get at the screw behind it, and remove the other screw and the handle comes free. The "end cap" of the dash is held on with three (I think) screws, two at the bottom and one near the top - this then comes away. You can now see the motor. Where the wires go into it looks like a plug, which it is sort of. Pull the connecors out and the bit that is left is the park switch - it is clipped to the body of the motor - looking at the new one it will become apparent how. Unclip the stop switch, clip on the new one, check everything now works and put it back together.

It looks a bit daunting the first time you do it, but you'd have to try quite hard to damage anything.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks Richard, I'll have a look over the weekend.

Reply to
Jon

I dont suppose for one moment that fitting this part to my 1989 110 would give me an intermittant wiper? would it?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Hill

You'd need to put in the additional wiring and switch as well - not impossible, but not a lot of fun either......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

"Paul Hill" wrote in news:NxPWe.1077$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-win.ntli.net:

Maplins do a kit for intermittent wiper control. It is a self-assembly project and about £12 I think. (Velleman K2599). Might be worth a look. I made one up for a project I was working on and if it turns out to be any use to you, you can make me an offer!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue