diesel engines and exhausts

hiya can anyone tell me if i can cause any damage to my daihatsu 2.8 turbo engine, by keeping the original landrover exhaust,

i was thinking along thelines of creating too much back pressure or something like that.

or am i worrying over nothing........

andy

Reply to
dave

It will probably reduce power, but I can't see it doing any damage. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:14:28 +0000, dave enlightened us thusly:

which original exhaust?

a 90/110 one won't restrict it noticeably.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

right then,

its a series 3 petrol exhaust.

when the engine was in the daihatsu, i drove it and at about 2000 revs you felt a very noticable boost ( turbo)

now ive got it in the series coupled up to the series exhaust and took it for a spin.

nothing, no noticeable boost as before. the engine was took out, sat for 6 days the lifted and put in, i havent alterd anything.

before i rip the exhaust off, which took me 3/4 of a day to fabricate, can some one explain to me the technicalities of why ive lost my boost?

why would altering the exhaust affect the turbo?

cheers

andy

Reply to
dave

On or around Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:22:30 +0000, dave enlightened us thusly:

boost is related to exhaust speed, if your exhaust is restricting it, it might not get enough speed. that's the only obvious thing I can come up with. What sort of diameter is the exhaust compared with a daihatsu one?

Reply to
Austin Shackles