Diff Lock Light - flickering

Hi

I have a 1983 110 V8 CSW. Recently the diff lock light has started flickering on and off, even though I'm not using the diff-lock. Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

Neil

Reply to
Neil Cummins

Had a similar prob on my TD5 Disco, without a diff lock fitted (!) Traced the prob to water spray and grit getting to the diff lock sensor, which is still fitted even tho' the Y2K Disco's don't have the locker (?!) Once everything had dried out the prob' went away and has not recurred Mac

Reply to
Mac

Hello; I have had similar and other problems with this darn light on my 1993 Tdi for ages. After checking and re-adjusting the mechanical linkages I checked the limit switch and I came to the conclusion that it was the switch. The lugs (where the wire connectors are pushed on) on the switch were very loose and gave intermittend high resistance reading. This must have happened when the transfer box was out for a rebuilt. On further investigation I found that this switch has very little differential, may be 1 to 1/2 mm between opening and closing its contact. This is essential for correct adjustment as the internal ramp/cam is short.

I could not get a decent replacement from the dealer. All replacements had much greater differential travel between contact open and close functions. All were also marked suitable for a reversing switch but obviously unsuitable for diff. lock application. As I could not find a suitable replacement, even after asking on this medium, I re-soldered the lugs on the old switch and re-enforced their vicinity with Araldite Ultra.. I haven't installed it yet as I presently have problems with my shoulder and the switch is in a diabolical awkward position that requires on to have double jointed elbows and a fully floating shoulder. :-)) I am pretty certain that it is your switch mate.

Frank in Aussieland

Reply to
thesnowbaron

Perhaps an easy solution: Take the bulb out.

You will know when you have engaged the difflock and will then disengage and unwind transmission as a matter of course - therefore no need for the warning light. Idc apply a more technical solution.

Simple check when driving off before releasing handbrake of position of difflock lever should suffice (I do this anyway just to be sure coz I have an appalling memory of what I was doing last with the truck).

Reply to
pl.white

Well, that is too simple for me. I like everything to work as it should; wether with a vehicle, in the house or workplace. Frank ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

: > I have a 1983 110 V8 CSW. Recently the diff lock light has started : > flickering on and off, even though I'm not using the diff-lock. Any : > thoughts as to what the problem might be? : >

: > Neil : >

: >

: :

Reply to
thesnowbaron

But that's breaking the golden rule of car maintenance: *always* leave something not quite working properly. Because as soon as you get

*everything* working fine, something else will always break.

At the moment, my leaky air suspension and burst rear view mirror are probably stopping something major blowing up. Oh, and I think my driver's side heated seat isn't working either...

David

Reply to
David French

I have often needed to reverse a short way to release diff-lock in the Discovery, so checking the position of the transfer box lever may not be sufficient. I don't know if it would eventually release anyway under forward motion.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs