Diff's

Hi -

I dropped my front propshaft on Saturday to see if the play in the diff input shaft could be removed - I tightened the nut a 6th of a turn (its a castellated nut with a split pin) - and this seemed to get rid of any noticable or feelable play. Is this enough? I went another 6th, and it got a little stiff (no pun intended!) so I backed off. Should I have done or is it meant to be a bit stiff to turn?

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Coleman

The pinion should be stiff to move - 7-12 pounds at the radius of the oil seal, and this is set by shims, not the tightness of the nut. The nut should be tightened to 85 lb ft. It is difficult to see how the play could have arisen (and be able to be removed by tightening the nut) if the diff had been correctly assembled. JD

Reply to
John

Ummmm OK - does this mean that my diff is going to let go soon? I don't have the facilities at the moment to work on a diff, so shall I just tighten the nut to 85lbft and hope for the best?

It was deffinatly not at 85lbft when I took it apart - I unscrewed the nut by hand!

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Coleman

How tight is too tight? It turns easily by hand, so does it need to be tighter? Any rules of thumb? Not having used a torque wrench as I didn't know what to set it to at the time, I'm not sure how tight the nut is. Will do it with a torque wrench next time I'm under there.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Coleman