Disco 2 Air Conditioning Problem

Hi The early arrival of some warm weather in the UK has prompted the use of the air con on my 2001 Disco. Unfortunately I was left with a blast of warm air!

On closer inspection I noted the compressor clutch was not engaged. I've checked all the fuses and they're ok.

Does anyone know if there is a sensor on the gas pressure which prevents the compressor from engaging if low? - I was wondering if I need to get it recharged after 10 years.

Thanks,

Ian

Reply to
ian

Yes, clutch will not engage if pressure is either too high or too low.

"Dual pressure switch The dual pressure switch protects the refrigerant system from extremes of pressure. The normally closed switch is installed in the top of the receiver drier. If minimum or maximum pressure limits are exceeded the switch contacts open, causing the compressor clutch to be disengaged. The minimum pressure limit protects the compressor, by preventing operation of the system unless there is a minimum refrigerant pressure (and thus refrigerant and lubricating oil) in the system. The maximum pressure limit keeps the refrigerant system within a safe operating pressure."

Reply to
Dougal

Probably. The systems do leak over that period of time or pipes corrode and let the refridgerent out. That happened on my Y reg DII with rear aircon. Corrosion at a clip holding one of the pipes to the rear of the car.

You can get cans of refridgerent to top up the system yourself, get one with a pressure guauge so you don't over fill. Though at ten years it may be worth spending the dosh on getting the system properly emptied, checked for leaks and refilled with lube/refridgerent.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

No, don't wait 10 years - get it recharged now :-)

Reply to
hugh

On or around Sun, 10 Apr 2011 12:42:29 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

yes there is, but be aware that there's more than one fuse. Also it's possible for the wire to the clutch to chafe and break/short out.

On mine, it leaks - works OK but not for long, after refilling. Out of interest, any known leak points to look for? It was refilled bye the garage at ruinous expense, but they can't pinpoint a leak (the clever machine says there isn't one, shows what it knows...)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not that I know of, I only know that my leak was at one of the clips holding the pipe leading to rear was that after squirting stuff in froma can and the pressure slowly rising it suddenly dropped and more squirting would raise it. I then felt anlong the pipes and this one spot was freezing cold...

There is supposed to be a flourescent dye in the refridgerant/oil so maybe exploring with a UV light in the dark will show something?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Tue, 12 Apr 2011 20:03:27 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

the garage bloke did that, but didn't see much - however, it had already leaked by then. might be worth a go filling it and looking straight away.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Fixed it! - Purchased an aircon top up system from ebay (£39) - it comes with pressure gauge etc. When I checked the pressure it was reading 10lb sq in - after filling it went back up to 30lb sq in and the compressor kicked iin. Really easy! Thanks for all the comments Ian

Reply to
ian

My D1 leaked at the pipe under the battery.. It was sort of an L shape and leaked at the point nearest the bulkhead just under the battery.

Could only get the pipe as a gen part and even the Pirtek etc failed me. £80 for the pipe then. Maybe theres an alternative but I never found it and paid through the nose out of frustration in the end.

Reply to
Lee_D