Disco at last

Finally bought a Tdi so I'm going to flog off some of the Rangie stuff still hanging about Haynes ( the old book pre- er take it to a garage syndrome ) and I'll throw in some suitable software OOh and that complete restorers guide to the Rangie. All well and good now herself rightly says a proper glove box would be nice ( puffy cloud blue colour) and summat to hang some spots on at the front ,dog guard jeez this is going to push the budget up a bit. Derek ( Disco Tdi200 )

Reply to
Derek

Hiya Derek,

Welcome to the Disco money pit. Surprisingly I have found this is cheaper than the Defender 110 let's get ready for Africa, that took 18 months with a total vehicle and equipment budget of wait for it - £10000. I paid £3500 for the 110. So in that was new clutch, radiator etc etc.

I have spent to date in two months on the Disco - errrrmm, about £150 including doing a major service myself. That is new headlights and bulbs

80/100's they are much better for the lights.

Not had to do anything else except treat the engine to some slick 50.

The Disco is an XS version and a 300TDI and in excellent condition, Japanese Import.

Yours

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

On or around Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:57:08 GMT, "Andrew Renshaw" enlightened us thusly:

Make sure the wiring and switches are all up to spec. I can't remember if the disco 1s use relays for the headlamps or if the current runs through the dipswitch etc., probably depends on the age and model. I have, however, seen 100W headlamps cause failure of light switches and so on in the longer term. I think the circuitry can handle it when new, but it sure finds out the dodgy connectors and such.

best way is to fit heavy duty wiring and relays.

modern motors seem to have ever thinner gauge wiring, too - headlamp supply wires used to be nice fat things, capable of taking 15A with ease; these days, they look way too thin and are not really likely to take double the current too well, even if they don't overheat they'll create a voltage drop which reduces the output of the bigger bulbs.

Been somewhat impressed with Philips vision plus (or other similar from other makers) as standard-wattage bulbs giving a good light.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Funny you should mention that Austin I was about to transplant a pair of Xenon +30's across from the scooby I'm a big fan as I have mentioned a few times really as we get older they are a must- I'm past squinting behind 2 candles in a series spec lights I have never fancied the idea of the higher wattage bulbs Peggy's wiring used to get warm with standard lights so 100's were a no no. I might be doing some alteration to the switch gear because it has the remotes for the factory radio - tho' its been fitted with a Sony CD player I was wondering if the ICE remote harness is separate from the loom no doubt I'll find out when I get into the dash to upgrade the alarm system. Oh nuts not more stuff to buy Derek

Reply to
Derek