Disco dual tank idea

Hello all, I would like to know if anybody has any ideas of the legalities of what I'm proposing to do with the Disco.

I would like to fit a second fuel tank for red diesel. this would be for use off road. The way I figure it is, why should I pay the Chancellor for running my vehicle on a private peice of land ( I dont mean greenlanes here)

Common sense suggests it should be perfectly legal, but common sense does not prevail in the Govt!!!!

and what would the implications be for fitting? with switching over would it need priming etc?

any ideas ?

cheers

Reply to
StaffBull

Twas Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:25:53 -0000 when "StaffBull" put finger to keyboard producing:

well, switching over a second tanks should be straightforward enough and not need any priming, I have info here for a 110 extra tank.

however if some govt type heard about you and found you with a tank of red you would have to convince him that you never used that tank when on the roads, would you be given the benefit of the doubt?

I have heard of farmers being fined if red is found in any road-taxed vehicle, but they only had one fuel tank.

I used to drive through europe alot and fill-up on cans of red when I reached belgium, which was all used up by the time I got back to the UK, but if some govt type had seen my red fuel filter.... well you see the problem. it's just your word that you are not using in on UK roads.

this waffle probably doesn't help any..

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Reply to
StaffBull

Twas Sun, 7 Mar 2004 11:14:16 -0000 when "StaffBull" put finger to keyboard producing:

I scanned it for someone here a month or so ago, wait here I'll find it........

here it is, I'll email it to you. that address there work ok?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

from NFU orderline document 101/R

Red diesel may only be legally used in certain categories of machinery and equipment: a) stationary machinery (including plant, such as refrigeration units, on vehicles);

b) the following vehicles: Agricultural Tractor, Light Agricultural Vehicle, Agricultural Engine, Mowing Machine, Gritting Machine or Snow Clearing Vehicle. These will all normally be subject to a vehicle excise duty rate in the Special Concessionary category; c) the following vehicles: Mobile Crane, Digging Machine, Works Truck, Road Construction Vehicle and Road Roller. These will all normally be subject to a vehicle excise duty rate in the Special Vehicle category; d) vehicles licensed in the "Limited Use" excise duty class (ie those vehicles used in the agricultural, horticultural and forestry industries exempt from excise duty operating under the conditions attached to the class eg 1.5 km/trip) (Note 1); e) any vehicle not licensed and not used on the public road; and f) vehicles licensed in the "Historic Vehicle" excise duty class which would otherwise if not for their age be licensable in the "Special Concessionary" or "Special Vehicles" class ((b) and (c) above).

and

8 Under exceptional circumstances, rebated fuel may be used in fully licensed vehicles which would otherwise need to be fuelled with DERV bearing full duty. Such use must be authorised by HM Customs and Excise in writing, and in accordance with any conditions laid down. Such authorisation is rarely granted, and exists to cover the situation, for example, on off-shore islands where normal fuel supplies are interrupted by adverse weather etc.

I don't rate your odds of convincing HMC&E

Reply to
Denis F

Reply to
StaffBull