Wheel bearing...

should I replace only the dud? and axle pair? a set of 4?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Just the dud ones.

Reply to
SimonJ

Well, as you've obviously gone to all the trouble of taking the thing apart and one (presumably) is dud, I guess the chances are the other one on that end of the axle won't be in wondful condition, so why not change it anyway?

Reply to
Mike Buckley

That's what I meant of course, change the dud pair of bearings, but there's no need to disturb the other end of the axle.

Reply to
SimonJ

Cant see any reason to - but, if you've got concerns and have the thing up on stands anyway - - - - - - -

Reply to
Mike Buckley

On or around Sun, 7 Mar 2004 14:04:14 +0000 (UTC), "SimonJ" enlightened us thusly:

I'd tend to do the pair in one wheel. No law says that the other 4 fail simualtaneously.

one front bearing on the Ford lasted at least 10,000 miles further than the other side.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I had 1 fail which cost me a new hub & stub axle, then had another fail so replaced the remaining 2, on the basis that it was cheaper to have the lot done than wait and have to pay out on hubs and stub axles.

But on the whole, afterwards I wished I hadn't bothered.

David

Reply to
David French