disco II air-sus

Some time back, I had a leak in the passenger side air spring, which caused the motor to descend overnight.

Now it's doing it on the driver's side, but not all the time. Just now, I parked it up and it'd gone all the way down in abotu 2 hours, and in town the other day it went down at much the same rate, but on other occasions it stays up overnight at normal level. In the previous case, it went down every day at the same rate.

Is it possible to have a sticky height sensor or something causing this, rather than a leaky spring? I'm not especially keen on replacing the air spring (at a cost of 60-odd notes) if it turns out that it's something else causing it.

Does it store testbook faults for air-sus, which can be read? Haven't had any lights on the dash, but that don't necessarily signify.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You sure Nige hasn't nicked your height sensor for his Rangie :-)

Reply to
Andy

Get them all changed Austin. They will wear at a similar rate and if you have one let you down on the go you will be having to limp home then.

Treat them like you would tyres if you like. Thats my view anyway.

It'll be like a tyre that deflates only in a certain position I would say.

Out of interest how ols and what kind of milage has it done?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

When a height sensor failed on my other DII it just sat down on both sides and stayed there. This was a little "exciting" as it failed just leaving a round about onto a mtorway slip road. The back end started bouncing up and down in a most alarming manner. The next interesting thing is getting the vehicle onto a low loader with the suspension right down. If you have a tow plate, that wants to be an inch or so below the level of the tarmac...

I didn't have any warning lights when mine stopped playing. I think the only light relating to the air suspension is the one telling you that the the 2" lift is in place.

Not sure if testbook has anything on faults for the air suspension. The BCU is connected to it though as you should use testbook to calibrate the ride height after changing a height sensor and you need testbook to program the lowering fob.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Put it on backwards?

Reply to
GbH

On or around Fri, 9 Oct 2009 15:03:59 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

T reg and about 150K. no idea if the air springs are original or not. Well, I know the passenger side one is nearly new, but the other could be original.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Right, i'm back...what with one thing and another (The Ex and other such s*1t stuff) and a new laptop, i've been offline a fair bit.

What Austin described in his first post is EXACTLY what happened to my Disco (Y reg 108,000 miles). It would stay up for months, weeks, days, hours and mins...whatever took its fancy. I was convinced it was a height sensor,a nd even bought one ready to fit. But one night whilst working on the rear brakes i could hear a very faint 'Hissssssssss'. Despite having covered the bag in Question with soapy water, it wasn't until the car was jacked up that the hole became visable. Where the bag folds over itself on the bottom was hissing away merrily. My only height sensor problem has been the pivot seizing up and breaking off....

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

On or around Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:03:16 -0700 (PDT), Dom J enlightened us thusly:

well, seeign as the other spring was leaky, it's the most likely. I'll buy another one when I'm not so skint. it's just odd that it doesn't go down more consistently, the LHS one was going flat overnight every night, unless left in high setting.

it needs dampers anyway, so I can get them at the same time.

Reply to
Austin Shackles