Disco II ES Electrical Problem

Yesterday while driving back from France the front electric windows decided not to work. Very inconvenient when it came to paying the road toll! The back windows work fine.

After closer inspection this morning, the petrol flap release (runs on gas) and the height adjustor also do not work. And when I try the front windows a click can be heard from the glovebox area.

I've checked all the fuses and all are are ok.

Anybody got any idea?

Thanks

Michael

Reply to
Michael

The electric windows are controlled by the Body Control Unit (BCU), which sits on Fuse F13, and the windows themselves run off FL5. The Fuel flap release is on F2, so as you say, it doesn't appear to be a fuse problem. But the fuel flap release solenoid is controlled by the BCU.

The alarm also seems to be intricately linked to the Fuel flap release and the electric windows, via the BCU. Is the alarm working OK in other respects?

If the BCU were dead, I don't think your engine would start at all, as the Engine Management interrogates it before it'll start, so I'm hazarding a guess that it's some nastly wiring or earthing problem. Dead BCU would lead to lots of other problems too. It's behind the glove compartment if you want to try poking it with a sharp stick (LHD vehicle - not sure if it's the same on a RHD vehicle, but I assume so). May be worth checking for something obviously loose.

I'm no expert, so don't assume I know what I'm talking about.

Good luck, David

Reply to
David French

(snip)

I don't mean to be rude whatsoever, but 'poking' a device 'with a sharp stick' doesn't look like an expert's advice anyway. But, having those weird BCU problems on my Range, I have to admit that it might be a solution...

-- Henry! Q. Why do some bands even have bass players? A. To translate for the drummer.

"David French" a écrit dans le message de news: 40c5a56e$0$4588$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

Reply to
Henry!

It's just a turn of phrase - I wouldn't really recommend poking a BCU with any kind of stick, sharp or blunt. Obviously, most people are much more likely to kick or thump it, depending on accessibility, and the engineer's approach would be to hit it with a hammer.

Removing it and repeatedly stamping on it, or running it over (with another, still mobile, vehicle) will not help the BCU but it will make you feel a lot better about the whole thing.

David

Reply to
David French

Yep. I know the feeling. My '95 Range Rover kept telling me that the alternetor was defective. The alternator was cahnged at the last control. The ECU still says that the alternator is defective. Or that the rear left stop bulb is out of order. Or... And, of course, everything is fine. I think that my RR wants to be cuddled sometimes.

-- Henry! Q. Why do some bands even have bass players? A. To translate for the drummer.

"David French" a écrit dans le message de news: 40c5af70$0$4581$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

Reply to
Henry!

Did you get the ECU cleared/reset when the alternator was changed ?

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Honestly, I don't know, but I suppose that they clear this damned thing everytime, since I also had Heating/AC problems that were recurrent until I changed the motors.

-- Henry! Q. Why do some bands even have bass players? A. To translate for the drummer.

"Dave White" a écrit dans le message de news: 20040608141812903+ snipped-for-privacy@news.dem> > Yep.

Reply to
Henry!