Disco II Suspension

Hi all,

My Disco II has no ACE, and rear air springs (it's a 7 seater). I find the suspension OK, but a bit on the hard side on-road - you tend to be quite aware of rough road surfaces.

I was thinking of replacing the OEM dampers with Old Man Emu gas-shocks, mainly because they're going to take a hammering in Iceland next year. Anybody comment on how this will affect the on-road handling?

While I'm at it, is it worth sticking in OME springs on the front, say with a 1" lift, and putting spacers in the rear suspension? Has anybody here put

1" lift on a Disco II, and how is it? I don't think I'll go for 2", as whilst it was good on my old 200Tdi, I think it'd look a bit silly on my commuter car.

Or what about OME springs but sticking with the standard ride height?

Cheers, David

Reply to
David French

Hi David,

I put on Old Man Emu gas shocks about 2 years ago and the change in handling and ride comfort was fantastic. Go for it. I noticed from the moment I left the garage that is was far more comfortable.

If your vehicle has the steering damper change that at the same time. It really makes a difference.

A 1 inch lift will not make much difference to the Centre of Gravity or handling, you will have to slow down a little more on corners, sharp bends, but most people in a Disco do that anyway so it should not be an issue. Same with a 2 inch lift, although, you are doubling the effects of the Centre of Gravity change. I personally would go for the 1 inch lift.

Hope this helps.

Andrew Renshaw