Disco rims on the 110 - Any advantage?

It can dislodge, but not easily, I've been running tubeless tyres on tubed rims for a long time and know a fair few people who also do it, and the only time any have had a tyre come off the rim is when dropping the pressure low and doing heavy off-roading. I wouldn't do it on a low-profile tyre on a high-speed car, but on an off-roader with high-profile tyres it's been a total non-issue.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

The retaining ridge for tubeless tyres is a relatively new innovation compared to tubeless tyres - and tubeless tyres were used for many years without it. It is an extra safety feature, but many people over many years have done without it. It is doubtful whether the risk of sudden deflation from a bead dislodging is as great as that from a tube failure, so changing to tubeless on the "unridged" rims may be safer than sticking with tubes. JD

Reply to
JD

I've had one sudden tyre failure from a tubed tyre, and four slow tyre deflations in one month where the truck was fine when I parked it but had one or more flat tyres when I returned to it. After the tubes had been changed a few times they were fine until the sudden bursting at

70 on the motorway. That's why I started running tubeless on tubed rims. The inner lip on a tubeless rim is pretty small and I think more to keep the tyre in place on the wheel if it bursts?
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Well Chill dudes :-)

Just got back from the fitters and being the safety concious chap I am I bunged a set of modulars on at the same time.

I've got some gearbox / engine shifting to do now as Percy (IIa Auto) is due for collection this evening. It'll be a sad day but the retail therapy seems to be holding out so far.

Can't get over how much further out the rims are on the 110 now. Compared to before I took it it looks (if you wince in the dark) like an Icelandic tircked up Landie. :-)

Now I've got three good track edge and a plan for my trailer - damn... can't seem to stop this tinkering :-).

Bottom line though is while I'm cruising the autoroutes now I can concentrate on the tyre hum rather than pondering whether or not I should have risked the old rims which I'm sure would have been fine but I don't like to tempt fate and all that.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:28:14 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

now you can tweak the lock stops, and make it turn better. In the case of my 110, I machined a bit off 'em so they'd screw in further.

Reply to
Austin Shackles