Discovery TD5 Auto questions

|| On or around Fri, 3 Nov 2006 20:27:15 -0000, "Richard Brookman" || enlightened us thusly: || ||| Yup, it's a "feature". Mine does the same, although 55 sounds a ||| bit high. It certainly seems to hang onto 3rd more than you would ||| do if you had a manual change. It's worse with towing. I recently ||| towed a caravan the length of Wales and back, all on A and B roads, ||| and it spent a lot of time in 3rd and even 2nd. I've learned to ||| live with it. I've been told that a chip upgrade will help it hold ||| a higher gear on hills etc, and I'm looking into this myself. || || not sure on those how the 'box is run. if it's still traditional || mechanical you can tweak the kickdown cable settings. if it's || electronic, then you can presumably alter the programming somehow, || but buggered if I know how.

It's all electronic, with a throttle pot and no kickdown cable in sight.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| And the DII has lock-up in both 3rd and 4th don't forget, giving the || illusion of more gears. || Badger.

Aha! Mystery solved. Thanks.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sat, 4 Nov 2006 12:15:30 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

ah. in that case, it's a reprogram to alter the behaviour, I expect. Badger will know...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 4 Nov 2006 09:57:17 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

yer learn summat new every day.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Oh, and FWIW, there's no reprogramming available for the EAT (Electronic Automatic Transmission), mainly (I suspect) because it's an adaptive system. My DII (V8, of course!) will hunt between 3rd, 3rd locked, 4th, 4th locked when on hills with our 22' caravan behind it so I tend - if it's a long hill - to manually select it back to 3rd and let it lock and unlock as it see's fit until I'm "over the hill" (no sarcasm, please!) then re-select

4th. just seems less strenuous that way to me. It's a good system all in all, with the adaptive shift being more tailored to the vehicle than the earlier purely hydromechanical versions of the 'box, but I have heard the general "complaint" from other TD5 owners that they'd like it to hold 4th locked for a little longer when towing / using wider throttle positions. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

On or around Sat, 4 Nov 2006 16:47:10 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

I thought that initially with the 4HP22 which I put in the 110 - it seemed that it'd go from 4th-locked down to 3rd quite easily at about 60, however, more study led to the conclusion that flat out in 2nd is about 60, flat out in 3rd is about 85 ISTR, although I never got around to trying it. So if you're pulling weight and doing about 60 then it's appropriate for it to be in 3rd, not what amounts to 5th.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reassuring. That's exactly what I do.

I'm told that a chip upgrade will help with this (on a diesel, anyway) as the increased torque in the midrange helps to keep the speed up and therefore the box changes down less. It certainly worked that way when I had the 300Tdi chipped.

Any ideas how the adaptive shift works, what it does, and why?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

It is very easy to mistake the torque converter locking up to be the gearchange. The actual gearchange should be almost imperceptible while the lock-up causes quite a drop in revs.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Ah - interesting. I assumed the drop in revs was more indicative of the gear change. Either way, I don't get that final change until quite a high speed. Thus, for most of my daily, nominally country, route I am running with the revs higher than need for the speed. That, I guess, is where all the spare deisel goes.

Took a run on open roads yesterday (M6 and A14 to Tixover - Great day) with the cruise control set to 65mph. Very relaxed and fuel consumption was looking good until I spent a couple of hours in low range up and down hills.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Harrison

On or around Sun, 05 Nov 2006 19:40:17 GMT, Peter Harrison enlightened us thusly:

from hazy recollection of reading the test figures, the 3rd-4th shift drops the revs by about 300 and the TC lockup by about 200, but that could be nonsense, I'd have to look it up to be sure.

hehe.

Reply to
Austin Shackles