Discovery Transmission System

Just bought a 2003 TD5ES and have a question ref the transmission. My car has no diff-lock fitted (despite the sticker by the transfer lever) will this hinder the off-road traction? My previous car (Freelander) had a viscous coupled system that engaged automatically, does the disco also have this?

Reply to
Andrew Cooke

The Disco has ETC/EBD which is basically using the ABS to brake a free spinning wheel.

If you want a diff-lock the kits are available to enable the one which

*may* be present on your T-box - I'm sure somebody will pop up and give you part numbers and a price shortly along with how to tell if yours can have it.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

For the linkage there are several options from groveling underneath with a 10mm spanner via a home made linkage that you operate from the side of the car to retrofitting the complete cable/lever assembly etc from a Disco I (I think).

Have a google and the "How To..." on

has some information about the CDL and interaction with the ETC. The forums at disco2.com were good but they have been broken for what looks like about a month. You can get the topic listings but trying to a view a topic gives "SQL Error : 1016 Can't open file: 'phpbb_posts_text.MYD'. (errno: 145)" B-(

The transfer box needs the CDL spigot on the outside, you can feel for this from underneath I forget exactly where you need to feel/look but that is on the web.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice