Ditched

I was out in my 90 driving along a green lane near to my house on Sat night. It has been really hot here the last few days, then it rained like a bastard for a few hours. Anyway, whilst travelling along said lane, i braked. Bad move. The ground was hard, and the grass was like ice. The back overtook the front, and we ended up on the roof in a ditch. A big deep nasty one. It hit on the NSF A pillar/wingl. We were all OK. I managed to nearly stop it before it tipped over, but gravity had already taken over.

These are the results -

(password isbugger)

Me and the Mrs are ok, but my 90 is pretty bent. We managed to get out of the back door - luckily i had fixed it the other day.

Luckily i managed to flag down another defender - it turned out to be the people from 4x4 funerals and weddings

Theywere superb. I could not have recoverd it with out them. I owe them both. Ifyou read this, Thank you. We managed to get it on its wheels, but the ditchwas too steep for a 90 to pull it back up. Ended up getting a tractor! So glad that i had bolted the high lift to the bulkhead. I would be in hospital if that had hit me!

Anyway - What do you recon to the damage? Its goign to the garage tomorrow for assesment.

This is what i can see needs replacing.

NS Front wing Roof & Side pannels

2 doors Windscreen & surround

One of my concerns is that the hinge where the windscreen fits to the bulkhead is a bit bent. Can you repair bulkheads? It was in A1 condition until last night. I was towed back to my uncles farm last night, so i know that it steers ok, and that nothing i bent underneath.

What will have happend to the engine? It was in the ditch for 2 hours. I have not even tried to turn it over. I imagine that there will be oil in places there should not be. How do i go about getting it out?

What the hell am i going to do now.... :(

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Ouch

Glad to hear that.

Beer seems favourite - till inspiration dawns :)

Reply to
William Tasso

So pleased you both manage to extricate yourselves without injury. Looks quite dramatic in the ditch. I'd have expected more damage.

Reply to
SteveG

On or around Mon, 8 May 2006 14:39:38 +0100, "Mark Solesbury" enlightened us thusly:

ooops.

that's the important bit

That rather depends. Will the insurance cover it? Not necessarily relevant as they'd be likely to write it off.

Your options range from "hammer it straight enough to fit a windscreen and carry on driving it" to replacing everything that's damaged.

The only thing I'd question in your list is the bulkhead. It might hammer straight but you might end up replacing it. The doors might straighten, though... what about bonnet?

If you do the work yourself, it's not gonna cost a huge amount, especially if you get second-hand panels.

'course, if I do end up building the transit/minibus hybrid I'll have a whole lot of 110 bodywork for sale :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

-snip-

Commiserations and glad you're all OK...

How long was it running upside down? There could have been oil starvation if run upside down for any time. A friend rolled his car and thought all was OK, engine-wise. He proceeded to fit a completely new bodyshell (Nissan Silvia Turbo) then the engine blew up a few hundred miles later. This was a petrol engine, so I don't know the difference between that and yours.

Reply to
Danny

Where's yer ABS when you need it ;-/

Commiserations - at least you're both OK unlike a couple of kids I came across in a similar situation almost year ago to the day - metal you can repair!

Reply to
Buzby

Sorry about the landy, though i'm sure it can be fixed! Te only complicated bit is going to be the bulkhead. I'd be tempted to see what a big hammer or a bit of heavy duty lifting/pushing/pulling can do to it.

Regarding the engine - oil cant get to many of the wrong places can it? Letting it sit for a while to drain back to where it should be (as you have done) sounds like a fairly good plan. Check the levels and see if they are all where they should be.

Can oil get into the bores if you leave it upside down? If so it just a case of turning it over on the starter for a while with the plugs/injectors out and evicting it.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Only if the piston rings are bolloxed ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

->Tom Woods wrote:

->

->> Can oil get into the bores if you leave it upside down?

->

->Only if the piston rings are bolloxed ?

We are taking about a Land Rover are we not, I would pull the plugs and turn it over to get the oil out before trying to start it, it's a lot cheaper then the alternative.

Then check all the other oils have not drained thru the breathers.

Reply to
Geoff

Is it a case of takign the injectors out, turning it over, screwing them back in?

Do they have to be pressuriesed?

Mark

9090
Reply to
Mark Solesbury

No.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

->> Then check all the other oils have not drained thru the breathers

->

->Is it a case of takign the injectors out, turning it over, screwing them

->back in?

I would take out the glow plugs.

Reply to
Geoff

Well its a landrover so stranger things have happenend!.

If 2 of the pistons were at the top of the bore, and the engine was upside down then those 2 pistons could have sat with the bottom of the bore full of oil from the sump and sitting on the bottom of them (if that makes sense) - so it would surely test the seal of the rings?

What happens to the splits at the ends of the rings? Is there not a tiny gap there? Do these seal up when the engine is running and warm?

If my landrove engine were upside down all the oil would leak out of the oil breather on the top of the rocker cover!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Like geoff says - it might be easier to do the glow plugs instead.

I'd also disable the diesel feed while doing this. remove the power to the fuel cut off solenoid on the pump (presuming all diesels have one of these like my 2.5 n/a?) so that you dont get fuel in there for now.

turn it over and see what comes out! (might be worth putting a big dust sheet or rag over the top while you do this to catch stuff)

Have you checked the oil level? thinking about my engine, if upside down the top breather would leak lots and also get quite full of oil. Worth checking if it has leaked on yours and cleaning the oil out of where it shouldnt be.

Reply to
Tom Woods

It's always safer to turn the engine by hand initially after long periods of inversion. It'll give you some control over events.

Reply to
Dougal

That does make sense! I will bear this in mind for when i ever drown or roll a car! ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Took the plunge before the insurance picked it up.... Checked the air filter, and it was clean so i turned it over. It started 1st time - Only ran it for literally 3 seconds.

It smoked like a bastard. Lots and Lots of white smoke

If it is written off, and i do buy it back - whats the best way of sorting this?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Let it run - it's only burning off misplaced oil - it'll settle down perfectly given a wee bit of a run.

Reply to
EMB

Thanks for that - Its what i wanted to hear.

What pissed me off the most is that i spent £600 on a cam belt change and a full service on Tuesday, and ditched it on Saturday. :(

At least its fresh oil that went everywhere!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Murphy's Law.

Incidentally, if it's managed to get any significant amount of oil into the exhaust it could take quite a while for the smoking to stop (been down this track recently with a client's vehicle). Don't panic if that is the case - just keep driving it until it clears.

Reply to
EMB