Electrical Gremlins

The wipers on my 110 have taken to refusing to stop on the odd occasion, has anyone else experienced this? I was thinking maybe a relay is sticking or the parking switch in the motor has gone a bit dicky.

If it is a relay, where is it?

Also the brake warning light on the dash comes on intermitently, not the handbrake one but the one that I think indicates worn pads. AFAIK my 110 doesn't have the necessary to sense worn pads so does anyone have any ideas where I should start looking? Is this light related to the trailer electrics somehow?

Any suggestions welcomed.

TIA.

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around 4 May 2005 10:40:40 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

parking switch in the motor or maybe a wiper switch fault.

I think it might have a switch for brake circuit failure which responds to pressure difference; either that or low fluid level. Might even be a low-vacuum switch on it. what age vehicle? there are generally more warning devices the later the motor.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No relay on mine - would guess the parking switch is sticking on, the column switch is faulty (most likely), or there is a wiring short.

Some 110s at least have a warning switch that activates if there is more fluid goes to front or back. If you have drum brakes, this can be activated if the rear brakes need adjustment - took me ages to find this!

(snip) JD

Reply to
JD

this was the problem on mine, the later 110's also have a low-fluid warning thing I understand.

if the light only comes on when braking it's the valve thingy. intermittant generally could be low brake fluid.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

This could been it. I may have been getting my warning lamps confused!

In my defense I must say that the handbrake warning lamp has never worked in my 110 so I wasn't 100% certain which one it was! I don't class it as a necessity so it's stayed that way, in fact the switch is mostly missing.

The only manual I didn't have until today was the owners one, which I have now downloaded. From this I can see that the light that is coming on is the handbrake one that also indicates a fault (like low fluid) if it comes on with the h/brake off.

I checked the fluid level and it was maybe just below half way between low and full. Perhaps this was low enough for the warning to come on intermitently?

So, what is the warning lamp like the handbrake one but with a P in the circle instead of a !, the manual doesn't show that one?

Reply to
Simon Barr