FreeLander Sunroof

Hi All

First let me take back everything I said about not having any Freeland issues in two years.

This morning the sun roof packed up, in the open position!

After a bit of a crunch the passenger side runner now doesn't move. I have taken the glass off and have found that i can slide the passenger side runner by hand, but not the drivers side. I manager to get it closed.

I suspect that the toothed strip that links the the motor gear box has been stripped, would you all agree?

Second, is it something that I can get to with out stripping out the interior headlining? I can see the motor above the interior light fitting, but can only get to one mounting bolt.

Thanks

Vertuas

Reply to
Vertuas

Oh! What joy!

Remove the light consule above the dashboard and you will see the motor, it works on a worm screw, make sure you get the right side since the runners are handed, the entire runner has to be removed so find a pair of step ladders, this is done from the outside of the car, and swear for about an hour as you fiddle to get the old one out and the new one in... Oh! And be prepared to part with around £80 dealer only and non repairable, then as you fix the faulty side, and smile smuggly, the other side will fail a week later.

One other thing, if the sunroof fails, in the light consule there is a manual overide on the motor.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for that.

I have had the light console out and have seen the motor. Does it need to be removed?

I can see 4 torx bolt headed bold on the "runner" which i assume are the bolts holding it to the cars.

£80 is not so bad as i feared......even so it ain;t bloody cheep......prolly be £160 fitted. ;o)

At least of the other side does fail next week, i will have had practice and gained experience changing the first one,ready for the next LMAO

Thanks for post

Vertias

Reply to
Vertuas

Hi

I did this job last year, and keep getting flash backs.. Yes you have to remove the motor, to get the screw shafts in place on the worm drive. It's fairly straight forward, the worst bit is removing the runner, since a whole load of mastic comes off in one lump, and you live with the worry that once the new one is fitted the roof will leak. Hasn't happened yet and as I say that was over a year ago now.

Have fun

Nigel.

Oh! And Landrover quoted 2 hrs to fit so that with parts is looking towards the £200 mark for one side!

Reply to
Nigel

Thanks for that Nigel,

I'm confused about getting the motor out, I can only get to one of the bolts holding it up.

The other I would have to take the headlining out to get to, which means taking all the Side trims off.

Of is there someway to get the motor out and in without the hastle?

Thank

Reply to
vertuas