Freelander TD4 fuel consumption

I get about 38mpg solo.

Towing a caravan of about 1.3ton + reasonable 'car/4x4' load I get 20ish+a bit mpg.

Very happy with the first figure does the latter (towing) figure seem reasonable First time I have towed with a diesel so may not have the driving technique quite right. Are there any obvious rules/guidelines for driving a diesel when towing significantly different to petrol engines?.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

...and Richard spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

38 is pretty good I reckon. As for towing - the critical question is auto or manual? If an auto, the a smallish diesel is working pretty hard to pull the van and work the box as well - 20 would seem reasonable.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

Using a Td4 manual I towed a 1500Kg caravan + load + wife and 2 kids to Barcelona for a two week holiday. I averaged 36.7mpg over 3000 miles. It only broke down twice as well! But impressive mpg!

Stew

Reply to
90ninety

manual .... so maybe it is driving technique?

Richard

Reply to
Richard