Some Piccys of Morph - 101 FC

Last time I went out in Morph we rattled a few piccys off. I think he has scrubbed up quite well. Still along way to go but we're getting there!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Thu, 15 Sep 2005 02:03:47 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

doesn't that front-mounted wheel impede yer airflow a bit?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Early days yet. They were fitted there on some models so I remain quietly confident that it'll be ok.

Theres a humoungous gap between the chassis rails for air to be drawn up and my logic is that the wheel will cause low pressure encouraging the air up and through the fan. The Radiator is set back quite a bit from the front. Local running has shown no noticable increase on the temp and internally in the cab it's as hot as it's ever been.

Just been bunging on a pair of HIF's so once I'm ready for the road I'll do some more road test.

My mount is very home made but easily removable with no damage to the front end.

I did consider the other day if it does get hot on long runs , turning the wheel so that the offset is the other way around thus allowing more air through.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I didn't like that plate you made for the wheel studs ! Can I persuade you to accept a free 8mm steel plate, with 3 predrilled holes at the October meet up.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Snot really finished in those piccys, There is a plate welded across between the angle and the old wheel carrier. Then there are two pieces of angle going verticle above the shackle bolts with a horizontal piece of angle joining them to the top of the old wheel carrier. The two top corners are then bolted through the grill by four bolts to angled plates with captive nuts welded on which in turn are bolted to the inner tunnel with four bolts each side and a 4mm ally plate to spread the load of the four bolts. If anything the end result it rather over engineered.... It's been subject to the "Missing link" hanging from the wheel and bouncing up and down like a kid in a trampoline shop and passed the test with flying colours. Weakest part is probably the two 3/4 inch bolts through the shackle eyes.

But yes , spare plate is always welcome ;0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Like a funnel? I thought about this, also a scoop just under the front crossmember to force air up. Love the paint job so far, very dignified - I even expect the rivet counters to nod.

Can you lend your mum to Graham now - Emma is wearing out... :-)

Reply to
Mother

I've been trying to get him to send him mum round here for a year or so to sort my 101 out. not worked yet :(

Reply to
Tom Woods

Mum did a cracking job of most of the stripping I have to say. It was supposed to be Sis who did it as part of the deal for me doing all the welding on JLO. I guess I work too fast! So credit where credit is due... THANKS MUM!!!

As for the paint I thought it was suitably neutral so as not to look too military (well as non military as a exmilitary 101 can get!) while still being able to sneak in to the military show IYSWIM. Comes from watching too many home improvement / sales programs, "Its a nice neutral blank canvas for the next owner to make theiir mark on". Not that I'm planning getting rid or owt.

The other bonus to the paint work on this occasion is I don't feel obliged to flat off the coarse bits :0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I think given sufficient encouragement, othahalf might get the job done, although its progress is getting slower and with increasing noise on startup :o)

Nice job Lee, am aiming for a similar colour myself.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Paint man special offer 5 litres at £25, I was intending doing him limestone gloss but at that price who could resist!. I also thing the gloss shows up the "character" too much.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Bargain. I was going to go for a sand colour with a satin finish. As you said, bit too much character for gloss.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Yeah, like this?

Mother

I'm eating a bag of crisps as I look... can't work out which looks better.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

If there was ever an advert to use matt paint, this must be it ;)

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

On or around Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:50:31 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

that looks crap...

big mistake putting gloss on that one... You need one with straight panels afore you can afford shinyness.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'm not sure the owner would disagree!

Reply to
Mother

Yup. Thing is, having seen an ambi in gloss - with totally straight panels, it does look the business (hence my comment on the site about "being shotblasted first with bricks and pebbles" ;-)

Reply to
Mother

LOL

Reply to
Graham G

Said owner tells me that nitromors wouldn't work (lack of patience I think) so he used a scraper and heat gun. I recon he's warped the ally with the heat, cos I've seen plenty of ambulances and rarely is every panel on it as badly warped as that is. If it was a side or only a few panels I could accept normal wear, but if you look hard enough, there isn't a straight panel on it.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Upto a certain, uniform height though...

How tall is Alasdair?

Reply to
Mother