Gaydon Pictures

We were gobsmacked you didn't win......

I've got my pitchfork and torch ready to oust the fixers....

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

She's thoroughly enjoying herself! She has always been one of those sorts of people, she worked tirelesly for YFC clubs for 15 years eventually being county chairman in warwickshire in 2003, and that really is thankless I can tell you. I think she just enjoys meeting new people and working in a club atmosphere.

and she's

should probably agree with that I guess ;o)

Reply to
Graham G

So who won then Martyn? And did the 101 display get a Mention in Dispatches?

Reply to
wayne

Series 1 Club....

no mention and the stand was refered to several times through Sunday morning by the comentator as being the EMLRA stand. Easy mistake though, ones full of Military Landrovers and the other is full of Military Landrovers.

A little disappointing as it was a good display, but hey ho it's all a bit of fun at the end of the day.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

One would have hoped that the organisers would have had a little more nouse to know the difference - if only by the huge 16 foot banner saying "101 Forward Control Club and Register". My view is they simply weren't bothered.

A bit of fun yes, however so many people really pulled out all the stops to go for this award and the display was the best I can remember. To be snubbed in such a dissmissive way leaves many people feeling that it simply isn't worth the bother. This in turn makes it far harder to get people to turn out to shows.

Reply to
Mother

Not even a whisper. Next year I reckon the club should fill the stand with a dozen Space Hoppers - as the organisers seemed far more interested in the Space hopper race than any of the vehicles at the show. Won't be an issue for me as this is probably my last show season, another reason I'm pissed off not to have got any form of recognition for the work our Show Officer and members put in.

Reply to
Mother

What miffed me a bit was that all the commentator seemed to want to mention about my 90 as I drove down into the arena was the fact that my Dad was stood up inside (yes, the roof was off...)

To paraphrase "we must stress that you must not stand up in a vehicle when off roading. You really mustn't stand up in a Land Rover when off road". I haven't seen a program from the weekend so have no idea what they actually put down about my 90 (if anything).

The cavalcade organisation was a little poor (what's with driving into the arena twice, and not being able to take photos in an empty car park at Land Rover?) and the Heritage Run route is getting a bit less interesting every year.. or maybe I'm getting used to it :o(

No doubt will give it another try next year..

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

True, true.

I went two years ago with Morph and sneaked on the stand, I didn't know there was any award for the stands. I only learned of the award last year reading your site write up after the event. I know I did very little to contibute and take my hat off to those who run the shop and really push the boat out. For me it wasn't really about any award, I consider myself quite privalidged to have a vehicle on display, especially given its current state. I even though twice about going but then thought it's all well and good having vehicles you can eat you dinner off and the tricked up vehicles, I think Morph helped show how much work is involved to get a truck up to scratch (externally). If only it saves a few being wrecked or butchered then flogged on ebay my mission was accomplished.

I think the stand represented all angles of the ownership spectrum, the Series 1 stand seemed to have vehicles that were heavily restored and very few of them too. I saw six to eight on my visit.

An award would have been the icing on the cake but to be honest I don't really think any of the visitors know or care for the award, they are just there to soak up the atmosphere and the vehicles.

Your cleared to land on runway four ;0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Yes I know it's bad form to reply to myself, but wanted to say that the 101 Club stand was excellent, had a brief nosey round and was very impressed.

Not on that the club didn't get the prize, there had obviously been a lot of time spent in preparation that evidently wasn't recognised. Big shame.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

On or around Tue, 03 May 2005 16:50:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@lardrover.co.uk enlightened us thusly:

apparently not. buggrem, I say - your display looks every bit as good as any of the rest; and better than some, by far.

Heyho. I guess I should get a 101 to go with the big trailer - it's a bit of a sod to tow behind the discos - the 110 managed it a bit better; possibly the longer wheelbase makes a difference or it might be the softer suspension on the disco; either way, with my disco[1] on the back and towing it with the TDi, it didn't feel safe above 40.

There are a couple of things that bother me about the 101, though; and I've not yet found out if they're fixable things:

a) nonstandard parts. I know the club does very well at supplying these, but the nature of my operation means that the ability to get parts same day or next day is quite important. How much of the stuff that goes wrong (wheel bearings, propshaft joints, that sort of thing) is standard, and how much unique to the 101? Is it practical to run a 101 as an everyday working vehicle doing about 80 miles per day, and moreover, on the kind of work where more than a few failures per year is a major problem?

b) comfort. what with the mileage, etc., I'd want something decent in the way of seats. How practical is it to rip out the existing seats and substitute something like disco seats or sierra seats on custom bases, or on the existing base(s)? I assume the 101 has a seatbox style arrangement something analogous to the series? Anyone put different seats in, and with what results?

c) cost. Purchase cost, running costs. I suspect the best-looking option would be a 3.9+auto combination, but what sort of fuel bills would that land me with? Anyone tried a transplant from a 3.9 disco or RR into a 101? easy/hard/impossible?

Having towed the laden big trailer with the 300 TDi, I reckon it'd be underpowered as standard for the 101; it don't go as nicely as my 3.5i/LPG one in this respect; although the 300 TDi disco is overgeared for heavy towing work, it has to be said - struggles to move off on moderate uphills in 1H, without using excessive revs and clutch slip, and almost never used

5th, towing a bit over 3 tons.

and of course, the final point, availability... I'd be looking at something with 9 seats, finally; I guess the ideal body would be the radio van, but I don't see any of them going cheap. In fact, I don't generally see any 101s going cheap. A GS would do, in fact, as I could build it a body, no doubt, and no doubt too I could source suitable windows and things... I could of course (and would have to in any case) sell my disco to fund it, but not 'til afterwards; also, it's not realistically worth all that much. If it were up to me, I'd sell the 300 TDi, which would fetch more, but sadly that ain't mine to sell :-)

The alternative is the transit-LR-110 hybrid idea, of course. But that project is on hold until I can find someone to sell the first one to, to make a bit of dosh.

[1] barstard thing had a dead wheelbearing on the way back from oop north (Kendal, roughly), luckily only about 45 miles from home. Fixed now, at least I got to play with me new hub nut spanner.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

...or a load of minature 'cough' rip off 'cough' versions. That would have one for sure.

Given the fact we were refered to as the ex military lot, and given that the ex military lot were next door, and that they won third place with IMO a poorer display (no disrespect to them, quality vehicles, just lacked variety IMO), I can't help but wonder if the organisers completely missed the big banner of ours and put it down as all one club.

Won't be an issue for me as this is probably my last show

Here here! How come this will be your last year? Just wouldn't be the same without you around. Have to say, Emma and I are both agreed that you and Charlotte (Emma likes Charlotte) really made us feel welcome/accepted helping to make the weeked for us.

God, no Martyn, that leaves Alisdair and Hugh to talk to aaaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhhh ;o)

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Great pics Martyn! The one of Emma is good, although she disagrees, in her words "my god I look awful!" apparently she had a look at lunchtime, and her mother walked in just as she had it up on screen. She found it most amusing, much to Emma's disgust! :o)

Reply to
Graham G

Getting into a 101 is not all that easy (though better than lots of military stuff). But once in I maintain that it is a far better driving position than a Series or Defender.

The steering column six inches from your wedding tackle is also a great accident-prevention device....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I'd agree. I also like the 101 because i have plenty of headroom! (i'm

6ft3ish). I havent done any really long driving stints in the 101 yet, but from the shorter drives ive done i reckon its going to be better than the series 2 which i find sharts to get unconfrtable after 2 or 3 hours.

Larry - you should give one a go sometime ;)

The only thing i dislike about driving the 101 is the heavy steering when manouvering - but thats something that power steering should fix!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Especially given some of the other comments you made over the weekend, yes. I'd still be walking with a limp should I have made such comments! ;-)

Reply to
Mother

"1988 Def 90 - Martin Lewis - Rebuilt in 2000 as NAS replica. Fitted with Td5 and R380 gearbox"

Which is slightly more than Rafe got; "1971 TWT - R Aldridge"

They buggered it up. The "cunning plan" was to assemble all 110 vehicles (40 less than last year) in the space by the main museum entrance at the top. Trouble is, there's only room for 80 max there. So, they suggested we (the 101 Club) carry on, back up past the off-road course, down the arterial road again and muster on the stand.

Nobody bothered to tell the marshals this, so they stopped us, then waved us on - then waved everyone else on too...

Chaos...

That's Land Rover rules - and very strictly enforced too. Someone had a camera confiscated a couple of years ago, film removed, then camera given back as they left Lode Lane. Given the setoff this year was past the finishing sheds, nobody was really going to see anything anyway - apart from the rather shoddy way they keep their brand new

50K+ Rangies, that is...

Still didn't stop the S3 folk getting lost ;-)

Reply to
Mother

I'd be tempted to try and find out exactly 'who' makes the decision and upon what criteria. Then again, knowing how petty politics play a part, would possibly end up even more angry if told "the S1 club had it in the bag before the show"...

I took a role within the club at a time when things were, well, somewhat 'difficult'. I only thought I'd do it for a year whilst things settled down. I'm still here... The idea of Grumble was to get off and enjoy ourselves, a bit of walking, climbing, parking up and drinking type stuff - however most Bank Holiday weekends we end up at effing Land Rover shows!

I'm not actually 'off' shows as we really enjoy meeting up with 'people', new and old - but as for the rivet counting - well, I'm not too bothered as one piece of leaking metal is much like any other after five years.

That easily cuts both ways - you both fit in a treat and are _really_ nice to have around. The club is in better shape than ever IMO with people who muck-in and have a good time.

Hugh is absolutely superb to have on a club stand and I've a real soft spot for him and Alasdair. To carry on reeling out the same story time after time after time without getting fed-up is an asset beyond belief - when people come up and ask the same old questions it's great to be able to point them at Hugh or Al ;-)

Clubs perform many functions; Mainly I guess in terms of preservation / maintaining the vehicles, but also as a public face for the vehicle. Making a good club stand is about promoting the club and also making it interesting, friendly and welcoming for visitors. I thought the mix we had at Gaydon, and hope to duplicate throughout this years show season was about as perfect as it could get. You and Emma helped in a very significant way to make that such a success, as did Lee and everyone who turned up at late notice, to my mind, awards or no awards, this was a collective triumph and one I shall remember. If those on the stand are enjoying it, this will pass on to visitors, given the feedback so far, we won the hearts if not the awards :-)

Reply to
Mother

There's a very good reason there are so few pics of me available!

(cue Davies and Hobbs with wide angle lens comments...)

Reply to
Mother

On or around Wed, 04 May 2005 10:17:29 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

would you expect anything else?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

We like to think of him as cute and cuddly and his belly does tend to be in greater proportion to the rest of his body, did he make it back?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D