GPS users

Surely it's not as simple as that. Do we really want the OS to provide free data to private "for profit" sat-nav companies?

Reply to
Tim Jones

No we don't but there is a balance between a "fair price" and "rip off". Do the military (or any other government department/agency) pay the same rate for the mapping data?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Mon, 03 Nov 2008 18:39:17 +0000, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

further to the Igo8, if anyone's still reading...

turning auto overview off makes it autozoom better, although it tends still to zoom out so far that it loses minor roads.

turning off the internal GPS receiver makes it detect the bluetooth one, which it's OK with using once you're on the move. stationary, it tends to drop and re-acquire the signal and tell you about it, although it could be that you can turn the audio warning off.

These 2 discoveries make it more promising. I still needs the navigation improved though, albeit that was the only error I've noticed so far.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:11:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com (Tim Jones) enlightened us thusly:

no, but for example the top-end tomtom is a good bit cheaper and has more maps. To get the OS map one with say all the 1:50000 is gonna set you back many hundreds, and with all the 1:25000 it'd be big money indeed, although you could acquire maps as you needed them.

Also the maps appear to come on memory cards - don't know how many can be inserted at one time. It would need several slots for it not to be a PITA.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Its target market is walkers and cyclists though, who aren't so likely to cross from one map to the next repeatedly.

It's still a shit product though, way too expensive for what it is.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Austin,

What problem did you have with IGO8? Resolution? If so that's easy to fix ;-) Just make sure you have this in your SYS.TXT

[interface] skin="ui_igo8" resolution_dir="400_240" [rawdisplay] screen_x=400 screen_y=240 class='landscape"

If you've anything else in yours, leave it, but overwrite with those settings.

Works fine on my Omnia ;-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

On or around Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:59:39 -0000, "Neil Brownlee" enlightened us thusly:

seems to be working OK here. Having played some more - there are now only 2 problems:

1) the default zoom which it goes back to any time you go off the map screen and back on is further out than I'd like, and doesn't show minor sideroads.

You can set a zoom level manually, and while left on the map screen it stays on that, which is nice and something that tomtom won't do. However, doing that stops it zooming in when you get to junctions.

2) It gets some of the driving instructions wrong, not flagging a turn from an A-road onto a C-road, for example.

Might look in sys.txt and see what else is configurable...

Hmmm.

Just has

--------- [folders] app="%SDCARD%/IGO8"

[interface] maxzoom2d=6000000 show_exit=1

---------

I reckon some googling would help here.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:59:39 -0000, "Neil Brownlee" enlightened us thusly:

is handy.

Reply to
Austin Shackles