Health & safety woes

Picture this, 2 shunters one in the tug the other on foot padlocking or unpadlocking trailors (a padlock placed on the "red" suzie to prevent the trailor being used), The one on foot was at the headboard of a trailor doing just that when the tug driver slammed under the trailor cutting his collegue in half, killing him instantly. A bizarre accident. Since then the tug driver has been hammered as you can well imagine. The fallout ? Hi vis vests, wearing steels etc as mandatory. But we did that anyways.. My point is.... That H&S came up with no reccomendations whatsoever. Just a rehash on dresscode etc which already mandatory. The massive Hub in crick handles 1200 artics in 4 hours. Staying in your unit is a good idea once tipped and awaiting backload. The area where the accident happened wasnt floodlit at the time but is now. Does this incident smack of a cover up? The union have said/done nothing. Nightwork in a hub is dangerous. Since the Hub's opening 5 years ago 12 drivers have been seriously injured on foot getting a cup of tea or going for a piss. Shunters flying about with total abandon hitting them in most cases. I wear a flashing cycle light round my neck so I can be seen. And a manager came up to me last fri night and asked if I could take it off as it distracts shunters etc...... We cant win.

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

ZoNeHeaD® uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Just tell the manager straight, that you are wearing it for your own safety and that if he / she wants you to remove it then you will provided they put it in writing. Maybe some other form of illumination would be better and allow you to be highlighted without providing a dangerous distraction to other workers. Your Manager may well have a valid point.

I'd also flag up your concerns directly to the Health and safety executive in writing. If there was a death as described then the Coronor would have had an inquest and in my experience no one but no one pulls the wool over a coroners eyes.

The report from the H & S on the fatality should be available to read.

The process of making a brew or going for a Pee should be one that doesn't involve taking your life in your own hands, clearly in a site as busy as the one you describe people on foot will be at risk so surely some procedure should be set up that allows pee stops with the minimal amount of walking / danger. I would imagine the management would simply ban brews other than at recognised refreshment times, it will cut down on the amount of pee'ing required and thus slash incidents (pun intended) of injury.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

The answer to which is NO. You feel unsafe in the environment he is managing.

Reply to
GbH