Home brewed technical tip!

Anyone who has ever tried to change the oil in their defender gearbox will know what a pig of a job it is. Land Rover, in their great wisdom, have positioned a cross member immediately below the drain plug, guaranteeing the you will bang your knuckles and then get showered with ATF fluid as you drain the box.

Filling is even more difficult, as you have to defy gravity in order to get about three litres back into the box. Today I hit on a solution which worked perfectly and thought I would pass it on to the group.

When I do an oil change on the engine, I use a large bucket and then pump the waste oil into cans for disposal, using one of those syphons with a corrugated bulb you get from home brew stores. Today I reversed the procedure, using the one I normally use for getting water out of NATO containers to pump ATF out of the can using the bulb. When I had finished, I pumped gear oil through to flush it out before doing the transfer box in the same manner. Needless to say, I won't be able to use it for water again, but it will be O.K. for diesel and I can pick up a new one for water on holiday. Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes