No indicators!

I've finally got the front back on the 90 after some bulkhead repairs and I'm booked in for MOT a week on Thursday. Pressure's on!

It's all gone pretty smoothly, no major upsets - except my indicators are dead. All other electrics seem to be OK including the hazard warning lights but both left and right indicators are completely dead. There are separate fuses for left and right flashers and these are OK. I've unscrewed the plate that holds the fuses and behind it there seems to be 3 relays. One is the hazard warning lights (I could feel that clicking), what would the other two be?

Looking at the circuit diagram in my workshop manual, I think there is one flasher unit to handle hazard warning left and right indicators. Is that correct? If so I probably need to replace it?

What are the other two relay-looking things then?

Cheers in advance, David

1988 90 2.5 petrol hardtop
Reply to
dacawa

On or around Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:26:02 +0100, "dacawa" enlightened us thusly:

make sure the hazard warning light switch is turning off properly. You may need to replace it - I had this disease in the 110 once.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

||| It's all gone pretty smoothly, no major upsets - except my ||| indicators are dead. All other electrics seem to be OK including || || make sure the hazard warning light switch is turning off properly. || You may need to replace it - I had this disease in the 110 once.

I've heard that the hazard switch sometimes gets a bit iffy as it's rarely used and can cause symptoms with the indicators - pulling the hazard switch on and off a few times might cure it. Never done this, but maybe it's worth a try?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Tue, 27 Jun 2006 22:02:44 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

same problem. The normal indicator path goes through the hazard switch in the "hazards off" position - it's possible to have working hazards and non-working indicators. By all means try exercising the switch though, they cost money to replace...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Take the hazard warning switch out and check to see if it is parially dismantling itself which they are prone to do - the clips holding the top part to the bottom sometimes break or disengage.

A new HW switch from paddocks is about £9/£10 or so.

The genuine land rover part will cost a lot - about £30 - the pattern part is just as good if not better.

Reply to
David J. Button

On or around Wed, 28 Jun 2006 23:27:51 +0100, "David J. Button" enlightened us thusly:

LR part depends on the age of the vehicle - there are about 3 types, each more expensive than the last. the early 90/110 one is not too expensive.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hands! do you remember the highway code I still have a version from the 60's

I have had to have recours to that before now, it is that abominable apology for a fusebox to blame. Woulda though 90's had sorted it out, but there you see not everything is progress after all.

Reply to
Larry

My indicators went on the old IIa 109 I had, so there I was approaching a T junction, out goes the arm for a balletic "up-and-down" wave to show I'm turning left. The idiot behind me though I was waving him past (I was slowing down about ten yards from the turn). He zoomed past, and nearly went over the junction into the wall opposite. Oh, how we laughed!

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray