I don't like the look of that! What colour is engine oil?!

Range Rover V8 3.5 efi

Hello everyone. Just changed the oil...before there was a slight rattle which seemed to be from one spot (maybe just one tappet?) now with fresh oil it's louder than before - I was hoping it would get quieter! I've fitted a genuine Land Rover oil filter from Paddocks.

On closer inspection with a torch through the filler cap.....it doesn't look too good. It's like a 'bitty' deep gold colour in there that seems to be on all the surfaces. Will flushing with something do any good, or maybe just using fresh oil/filter a couple of times?

You're all going to say it needs taking apart and cleaning/rebuilding aren't you??!.....

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

The colour sounds OK - gold is a good colour for the inside of a V8 as it suggests there is little build up inside. If it's heavily encrusted or black then that's not so good...

Is the oil light going out quickly/at all ?

What oil did you use ?

Do you have an oil pressure gauge - if so what does it read at idle ?

If you are happy that you have oil pressure, rev the engine at around 2,

500 RPM for 15 seconds and see if that makes any difference.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

The oil light is on at ignition & goes off as it's turning over/as soon as it fires up. It never stays lit when the engine is running.

I used Castrol GTX (for normal engines) I think 15/40. Not sure if this was the right one to go for as it seems to be another one of those 'I use this type and it's been fine..' subjects when I've asked.

No pressure guage unfortunately. I've been worried to drive it never mind rev it incase I cause more damage.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

as far as i know a nice goldy shine is normal in engines. every well-turned engine i ever got apart had this on most parts. do nothinh about it. where is the sound coming from. is it from a valve which needs adjusting (or has lost his cap) or somewhat lower in the engine.

kind regards,

Benno

Reply to
Benno van Ham