I got my Series 3 seven seater now some questions

Hi all,

Further to my post a week or so ago I got myself a series 3, 88 inch, 2 and a quarter petrol and a seven seater. I picked it up for Catterick army barracks but it is civivilian spec. It is a hard top and is an A reg and has done 97k. The guy was asking a £1000 and I paid him £550.

Some questions:-

It is in a darkish green that I have seen loads of land rovers with (whats the colour?)

There is a small hole in the drivers footwell just above the alumminium plate in the steel , does it need to be welded or can I plate it with Aliminium Checkerplate?

Other than that it seems to be returning about 20 to the gallon, I was going to check the points and spark plug gaps on Saturday.

I cannot find any rot on the chassis except for some surface rust (should I look anywhere in particular?)

It is a bit bouncy going down the road and I was going to put some new shocks on and maybe some new leaf springs.

Anything else you think I should look at, except that I do need to soundproof it, it is a little noisier than my Disco.

Yours

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Start Here:-

is likely to be 'Bronze Green'Should be welded, but I glassed mine. Chequer-plate should do.20mpg sounds pretty reasonable.For Suspension, Look here:-
Sound Proofing, Look here:-
For anything else, have a hunt around the site, and check out the links pages, plenty of useful stuff else where on the 'net.

Congratulations. Welcome to the world of 'Real' Land Rovers. Book your introductory session at the osteopath now, and get yourself a check up at the dentist, before all your fillings get shaken loose. I would say book in to see the shrink too, but I think its too late for that!

Reply to
Michael Williams

If you want to know what colour it was when new you can contact the heritage centre at Gaydon (mine was actually limestone of which the majority of it still is)

20 Mpg thats bloody good :)

No rot ? it is there it will turn up eventually when you least expect it.

bouncy, not arf get used to it.

soundproofing, well they do say it can be done, but it is costly, I am going to get round to it one of these days

Oh yeah plate it, (beware of bimetallic corrosion) cover it with sticky back plastic and detergent bottles, whatever does the job and satisfies you.

Anyway I wish I had only paid 550 for mine what I have spent on it I do not like to count :(

Reply to
Larry

A good result!

If it's doing 20 mpg leave the bugger alone!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Hey thanks Larry, Michael and Tim,

I love it, I drove round in it yesterday and it is fantastic.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Look at rear cross member and all chassis outriggers as this is where rot starts.

footwells - these are all steel. Don't patch with aluminium as this will accelerate corrosion. Can patch with mild steel and MIG weld.

good luck.

Reply to
Steamcoaster