id break their Legs

hiya,

just thought id pass this on to let everyone be aware and a little more safety conscious with their landies.... no matter how old

a mate of a mate,, just spent 2 years re-building a series 2a at home.

he took it for testing(which it passed) on monday, and on friday it was gone....

they had obviously been waiting for him to finish it, but to add insult to injury, the newspapers reported the theft ( which is most commendable,) but,,,, they also reported that hed just spen 4 grand on it.

so, lowly 2a`s are obviously on someones shopping list.

think, after ive re-built mine ill construct a 3/4 inch steel chamber to park it in at night.

andy

Reply to
Andy

Easy theft nowadays with all the security & having to break into folks homes for the bloody keys etc. Best way would be to remove the middle dizzy lead (I used to do this inside my garage with my R5 Turbo) & also get a removable coil or electronic ignition system. I have seen mates (in the early 90's) actually chain down Cosworths & such with massive concrete blocks with huge chains over the driveshafts etc. I even know of a bloke who had a car nicked from his drive over a locked gate with a a hiab onto the back of a truck..

The moral of the story for me, was to get CCTV & use it., My wife got an Audi A4 Convertible (one of those cars that could cost £20k or £65k & look very nearly the same) & we got burgled after 10 days. They didn't get bugger all as we aren't daft & the keys are never in the house if we aren't. the CCTV got them on the return visit & the Police knew exactly who they where from the tape. A VERY good IR (see in the dark) CCTV system (single camera) in you own home wont cost more than £300 inc TV & VCR these days.

If anyone would like info, let me know on here or e-mail & I'll give you you the full details. No, I'm not involved, but this shit is bloody annoying.

Ta

Nige

Reply to
Nige

I suppose I had better not make mine too decent looking then and leave it looking like a wreck.

Reply to
Larry

for a portable TV! I

these chavs on film!!!

What make/model do you have and where did you source it? I'm on the lookout for something similar (although I want to feed a PC-based PVR ideally). I can then have video bursts upfed for remote viewing (and of course nobody can nick the evidence). I've sorted the PC end of it, and proved the concept with a crappy webcam.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

£59 for a portable TV! I

had these chavs on film!!!

I'll get all the info tomorrow if that's OK, I'm just off out to a wedding. The place I got if from do allsorts of stuff like this.

Ta

Nige

Reply to
Nige

£59 for a portable TV! I

had these chavs on film!!!

Just nipped into the loft, the place I got it all from is

they have some good stuff & it's not too much brass. There is that much changed since I bought mine ( Last November) it's worth a good look. The phone staff seemed to know what I wanted too.

Ta

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Indeed, not so much that they aren't sure that the images are not true, it's just that they can't prove it. The answer was what I was expecting to be honest.

Yeah, biggest problem is getting it to the jury.

Really? Hrm, any initiatives or info on this?

This has been discussed at length on a very technical mailing list I'm on recently. One of the guys who was talking there owns fotopic.net and has appeared on the Beeb a few times.

The response was that neither of the two technologies are any better than each other, however people place less trust (incorrectly) in digital images. To be able to edit an image without detection requires some serious knowledge of photography, and that applies to both.

I do konw of people who've had digital images accepted as evidence in court, and ISTR there was a camera out now which digitally signs the image before storing it to the card to address this very problem.

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
Aled

Well, my sources are a couple of Police Officers I know, both now fairly recently retired. If somebody was caught shoplifting, their soliciter would very strongly advise them to plead guilty if there was a video. As for photographs, it wasn't so much the faking of the actual image as the context. You had a strip of negatives which meant you could show a sequence.

But partly it is a case of perceptions. After all, people see all the trickery in movies, and they know it's done by computers. And they hear the fuss about digital copying of music, and how the copy sounds identical to the original.

I think we do get a biased image of the video tech from TV -- the crap video on Crimewatch is there partly because it is so poor.

Reply to
David G. Bell