idle stepper motor

on a 3.5 hotwire disco V8

Anyone had any joy with lubricating these?

It seems as though the one on the V8 here is a bit lazy - it does respond to increased engine load, but not as fast or as much as I'd expect.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Remove from manifold, spray with carb cleaner repeatedly, rinse with brake cleaner between applications of carb cleaner. If that doesn't work, soak overnight in kerosene, if that doesn't work, it's FUBAR'd!!! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Not sure if my Disco (M reg 3.9) has the same type but when i took my stepper motor off to clean it (using the Badger method of brake cleaner) i noticed that the plastic coller which the nice shiney plunger screws into had cracked, and the plunger had problems screwing in/out. Tried to fix, but ended up getting new one.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

On or around Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:38:11 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

ah, just got some more brake cleaner. marvellous stuff. comes in a squirty tin, called, in this case, weldite. excellent for degreasing things.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:14:28 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

Having driven it... it's mostly OK on startup but once you've driven up the road a bit it's sticking shut. sometimes it comes back after a while idling at base idle, more often than not it stalls instead. If you switch off and re-start, it seems to come back reasonably reliably.

done a typically crude bodge today, wound the base idle up from 500 rpm ish to just under normal idle speed.

Is doing that going to upset it?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No, it'll just rev higher on startup and give slightly less engine braking. If it's working at all, then cleaning may well help it. Badger.

Reply to
Badger