Reckless...

just bought a disco on eBay...

hope it wasn't one of you I gazumped at 10 seconds to go...

description sounds right, so assuming it's not completely misdescribed, I reckon it's worth it. The tyres and stainless 'zorst are worth getting on for a grand, at new replacement prices...

'bout the only thing I could really catch a cold on is the infamous output spline thing, but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it...

Anyone want to buy a 110? I'll fix the engine first...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Mmmm, nice ...

Sorry, I know too much about it :-)

Reply to
QrizB

Looks alright.

I'd love your 110, but if I get rid of the 109 and plonk a 110 on the drive I'll be single!

If the bull bar is totally fecked I could be persuaded to part with the solid but shabby one currently littering my drive, bought in a moment of good intentions!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Thu, 13 May 2004 22:56:23 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

hehe. Far be it from me to comment...

I have a very nice Genuine Parts one in the shed here, off the other disco. TBH, I'll probably remove the one from the new toy, as well, it adds about

50Kg of weight for a dubious addition to the protection of the bodywork. Any impact heavy enough to do serious bodywork damage will leave you with the same damage and a bent bullbar to boot.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Seems a very good buy, well done.

Sniper Shackles strikes again!

So, a little comfort in yer ol' age then eh?

Yer'll need a 101 next - ter remind yer of the gool ol' dayz with summat to fix...

Reply to
Mother

On or around Fri, 14 May 2004 10:20:44 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

Oh, I've no doubt there'll be plenty to fix on the new one. Gotta get a gas kit on it reasonably pronto, or it'll bankrupt me with fuel bills.

what sort of mpg are people getting with 3.5 efi discos? I assume this, from it's age, will be a flapper rather than a hotwire, but that may be an unwarranted assumption.

Hmmm. HBoL says hotwire. There's posh, innit. wonder if that makes the LPG installation easier or harder...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 13 May 2004 22:41:56 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

well, I've got it!

runs nicely, a few clonks in the transmission.

all as described, though. worst rot is the door posts on the back doors above the wheel arches, but I can patch them up... rear axle casing looks quite rusty, oddly. Maybe it's been used for launching boats sometime.

chassis and floor look good though.

and a bonus, which wasn't in the listing, in the form of a complete genuine LR workshop manual, in fancy ring binder!

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As you know (as well as anyone I'm sure) they can be sorted or ignored for a while depending on preference! Just buy a louder wireless.

Is that where steel panels join to aluminium ones?

It may have lead a rather maritime existance - would explain the rot and the bullbar getting full of water. It might (of course) just have had a previous owner who lived at the seaside - rots cars out a treat! Any signs in the log-book (before it got sent off) of previous owners fitting that description?

In the pics it looks genuine enough - used but sound!

When do you start fitting the gas kit?

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

On or around Sun, 16 May 2004 09:43:27 +0100, "Simon Atkinson" enlightened us thusly:

hehe. I might crawl underneath and look at the A frame. I suspect there's a bit of the infamous output shaft thing though.

well, yes, but also the rear post where the rear side doors close. If panels are gettable it could be replaced, or I can just patch it.

There seems to be a bit missing inside the lower rear panel on the one side, behind the rear wheel - I'll know better when the other disco comes back to compare... The lower wing panel flaps about rather loosely.

looks very good IRL. usual electrolytic corrosion, couple of small dents and a few scratches, but the paintwork is exceptionally good apart from that.

soon. it's too expensive running on petrol. Not bad, mind. almost 240 miles on about 3/4 of a tank. I'll go an fill it up in a bit (when I've finished putting the decent bull bar on it) and see how much it's used, but it's something around the 18mpg+ mark. that included a certain amount of motorway at 80 or so, and a fair bit of 60-70 on fast A roads, and a fair amount of wiggly-hilly-A-road.

I reckon driven slow and light she'd do a tad over 20. 'course, she'll not get driven like that :-)

if I can get 14-16 mpg on gas, that's a significant improvement on the 11-12 that the 110 did when it was running right and a big improvement on the 9 or so it's been doing lately.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 16 May 2004 13:55:51 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

18.6 - 226 miles, 55 litres. Not bad, I thought.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yup, mine has this bit missing. Land Rover wisely put a steel mudflap retaining screw through the ally panel, so it rots like stink. Eventually the mudflap falls off and you have a big hole in the panel. Panel can be had, but I think its just a straight piece with a couple of bends.

Mine needs sorting, but it's not a major problem.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

My last Disco used to clonk a bit - and do odd things in reverse (if you pressed the clutch while reversing above a walking pace the wheels locked up). Never got any worse though, so I just put up with it.

Shouldn't be too bad - at least it's summer, so better for working on them.

Prolly just a strap missing.

Result.

I'd have thought you might do better than that? My last LPG vehicle was a 3.9 with an open loop vapouriser system (not anything clever) and I was getting a steady 18mpg on gas. Mostly goodish runs though it has to be said.

Looking to convert the new one - as soon as I see a kit at the right price.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

On or around Sun, 16 May 2004 21:41:07 +0100, "Simon Atkinson" enlightened us thusly:

a) 3.9s get better mileage than 3.5s, apparently

b) the 110 is an auto, and

c) currently, it's only running on 7 cylinders.

tried Chris Perfect? not cheap, but he's got some nice-looking kit these days.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Really?

So is the Rangie.

Lucky - some of the ones I've had could only dream of that level of power :-)

Ta.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Just looked - nice kit, but I'm inclined to try Ebay.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

On or around Sun, 16 May 2004 23:23:02 +0100, "Simon Atkinson" enlightened us thusly:

the point about the Iwema stuff was supposedly that the Dutch lot selling it put the kit together sepcifically to suit LRs.

I've had a couple of the OMVL vapourisers, and not had problems, and the quality looks better than the Lovato one on the car, although to be fair that's not had problems either.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles at snipped-for-privacy@ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk wrote on 13/5/04 10:41 pm:

Ours has done 133,000 and we've not got that problem, so you may be lucky.

No thanks

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles at snipped-for-privacy@ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk wrote on 14/5/04 1:43 pm:

Not sure - but we've got the real Land Rover workshop manual if you get really stuck. I'll scan some pages and send them on.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

On or around Mon, 17 May 2004 10:04:02 +0100, Nikki Cluley enlightened us thusly:

It came with an official workshop manual as well, which was a bonus extra result.

Just been up to see CP about gas conversion. He's got some neat 80 litre UFO tanks, which, with an alternative wing-mounted petrol tank go in the back between the chassis rails. Works out cheaper than twin sill tanks, apparently, and still leaves the option of adding sill tanks later.

he says hotwire is easier to convert than the flapper, too :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles at snipped-for-privacy@ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk wrote on 14/5/04 1:43 pm:

workshop manual says "lucas hot wire system electronically controlled"

Reply to
Nikki Cluley