Introduction... land rover newbie

Hi folks,

I've just bought (about 1 1/2 months ago) a 97 defender Tdi300, and so far I'm LOVING it.

Where I am (Vic, Aust) a good one of these are like hens teeth, but I'm glad I held out... I spent 2 years trying to find a good one at a reasonable price. The wait seems to have been worth it.

Everywhere I go, other 'fender drivers give me a friendly wave or beep. In fact, 10 minutes after picking it up, I got a toot and a wave, much to my amazement. The last time this happened was about 20 years ago when I was driving around in a 71 Peugeot 404, who's owners of the time considered it de rigeur to wave manically, toot and flash at other 404s. It's good to see another marque and model with such cameraderie amongst its owners!

So far, I've been fixing up a few mechanical *issues* like:

- timing cover gasket water leak

- overflow bottle split

- new timing belt

Yet to be addressed:

- the usual gearbox/transfer oil leak

- front drag link replacement

Other than that it's in pretty good nick for an oldie... only 143,000 k's on it. It's got a few bumps and scratches, but who cares... I'm only going to be adding to them, and already my local mechanic is calling them 'character marks'!

I've only taken it off road once so far, but was VERY impressed with how a complete stocker (bar the non-standard tyre dimensions) handles the rough stuff. Four creek crossings and a bit of rock crawling in the space of

60kms... great fun, and even the missus enjoyed it :). It just walked over stuff that the (stock) jappers just don't like. I'm amazed.

Anyway, I've been lurking here for a bit, and though I'd better introduce myself.

Go the Landies!

Doug

Reply to
asdf

How do!

nice to see you are enjoying your landie. Thats what it's all about!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Aye, another sucker hooked, just like me. B-)

The Disco II that I just wrote off was an unreliable heap of shit when you look the long list of, expensive, things that I've had replaced on it in the four years I had it. But I'm still going to get another one, they are just such lovely vehicles to drive and so capable. I have a Golf TSi hire car at the moment and I'm finding holes in the road that I didn't even know existed in the Disco, not to mention you feel almost every bit of chipping on the surface...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Glad you're enjoying it and may you do so for many years to come. Timing cover water leak?, I hope you mean the one behind the water pump casing, usually called the 'P' gasket on here. There shouldn't be any water from the timing cover. Good choice of motor though for starters, easy to maintain and reliable. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Hi Doug

Welcome to the group! I have a feeling you are displaying the right attitude. We're fans, not dispassionate observers of the motor industry. The clue is in the name :-)

Reply to
Rich B