Jacking up Series 3

I have a spare wheel for my S3 in the back, but I don't want to carry my trolley jack around me when I take it out. Did Land Rover ever provide a jack? if so do you reckon I'll be able to get one at the jumble at Gaydon next bank holiday? At the minute if I get a puncture I'd have to call RAC to come and change my wheel......

Paul

Reply to
Pacman

I think they supplied a bottle jack that needs a few bricks underneath before it'll reach anything you can jack up. Why not get a hi-lift? I got one and have found it indispensable ever since.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Why not get a hi-lift? I got one and

Are they small? i dont want something too cumbersome. how much do you reckon i could get one for?

Paul

Reply to
Pacman

They're small enough in two of their three dimensions, although that third dimension is typically 4 feet (can be more). (

)- Sounds like a bottle jack and a couple of bricks is what you're after, ifyou want something that isn't cumbersome.

- Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

In message , Andrew writes

I don't think it was hydraulic either, but a screw type IIRC.

Reply to
hugh

On or around Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:29:33 +0100, "Andrew" enlightened us thusly:

the disco bottle jack is to go under the axle. keep thinking about a hi-lift, though if I want it seriously up in the air, I hook the engine crane to the front bumper :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On a road or similar level, hard, surface a small bottle-jack under the axle is fine. Something a bit bigger, and some packing blocks, would be wise.

Off-road, a hi-lift type of jack would be better.

Because it's a transmission brake, remember to put the vehicle in 4wd before jacking. Chocking the opposite-side wheel is also a good idea. You can be lucky and get away with things, but you only have to be unlucky once...

Reply to
David G. Bell

Ohh, I did this once off the back of a swb 2a. Used some old galv chain - which snapped :(

Never again for me..... everything goes under the axle/chassis from now on!

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

Hallo Paul

My series 3 has a bottle-shaped screw jack, the operating handle clips behind the front seats (along with the starting handle). On a hard surface it works fine, for trickier surfaces I carry a piece of wood (an offcut of a floor joist) to go under the jack. Don't use bricks---they can crumble under load. Check the handbook for jacking points---ISTR at the front you jack under the swivel housing (gives a very direct lift).

Dave

Reply to
David Bexhall

On or around Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:51:25 +0100, William MacLeod enlightened us thusly:

'tis a fact that the lifting chain I have on the engine is stamped 13CWT under all the s**te and rust. I really ought to get a new one. The crane itself (and I assume the chain and hook thereon) are rated at 2T, however, which in theory is almost enough to lift the whole LR.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have a 5-ton hydraulic jack, lifts up to about 3ft in the air. Damn fine piece of equipment, I don't see any similar about these days. Anything rated about 2ton seems to have a lift of about 12".

Mind you, it is about 25 years old. Probably time I changed the seals on it.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Sat, 17 Apr 2004 00:32:28 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

you can still get the big ones, but they cost about 3 arms and 4 legs.

I've a 2¼-tonner which lifts about 18", this works fine under the axles.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You want to get a truck bottle jack. Weve got a couple that are about

6 ton and lift nice and high. They say MAN all over them so i presume they came out of the trucks.

The end screws out about a foot, and ive not had any trouble lifting any of the landies round here with them!. You can even get a bracket for them and clamp them down in the back somewhere.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Just been to Halfords this afternoon and seen an 'Air Jack'. Looks like a big cylindrical air bag that fills with air and jacks up the car.

They any good?

Regards

DH

Reply to
Mellotron

Twas Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:49:05 +0000 (UTC) when "Mellotron" put finger to keyboard producing:

if you have nothing hot or sharp underneath they could be, and watch for soot as you let it down. good on soft ground I suppose. I use a small trolley jack and a block of wood, lives under my second-row seats.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Fine for roadside use, but I'm never 100% happy with a bottle jack or highlift in the yard, when proper trolley jacks are available. They're much more stable.

Alex

Reply to
Alex