Land Rover Discovery bonnet release at 60 km/h

The Saab 9-5 my Dad drives has a peg on either side; both lock in rather like a padlock, so both would have to fail before it pops up... and then there's still a latch in the middle. All three are welded separately to the bonnet.

A design feature that, it seems, Land Rover and Toyota would do well to consider.

Reply to
Torak

On or around 5 Jun 2006 03:57:24 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@swiftdsl.com.au" enlightened us thusly:

you can get the sort of loctite that's undoable. and anyway, how often does the bonnet catch need undoing?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

222 Screwlock - Pink - readily undable, but vibration of in the order of a Challenger 2 tank will cause bolts to loosen. 242 Nutlock - Blue. Less readily undoable, and suitable grade to apply to bolts which have been loosened by vibration in the order of a Challenger 2 tank. 270 Studlock - Green. Practically permanent.

Although most grades of Loctite are softened by temperatures in excess of 120 - 130 C ish.

HTH

David

Reply to
rads

Blimey, I don't fancy hitting something front-on in your car, what with all that lot coming through the windscreen at you!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

snipped-for-privacy@swiftdsl.com.au came up with the following;:

Not mine, but the front corners of the bonnet do move somewhat alarmingly at speeds above 60mph on the motorways.

It does look like you [1] just haven't spotted the bolts and catch are loose when you've been doing the normal, everyday checks we [2] all do.

The normal, everyday checks we all do, but add one, for your own piece of mind, that includes checking the bonnet release. Actually I have to spray mine regularly with WD40/Plusgas etc to keep it free .. it always seems to stiffen up after a few weeks.

[1] I do also mean any service 'personnel' who might have been doing the servicing. [2] That's the royal 'we', I don't pretend to speak for everyone, but mean 'we' as a family of drivers. :)
Reply to
Paul - xxx

Proper saabs have backwards bonnets too!

The bonnet on my old saab has popped up at the front over pot holes before and stopped on the second latch. It acts like a big air brake ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Downhill on the dual carriageway the first time (made me start using the locking hasp too), then on a clear stretch of road (also downhill) right after my MOT when he hadnt clipped it back again.

The second time, the force of the bonnet hitting made my side window fall out so not only did i almost have dirty trousers but a bruise on my head from the window!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Reply to
William Tasso

**Well, it is a Pommy car, you know. Why are you surprised that the Poms still build crap vehicles? The only other time I am aware that this occurred was when my high school girlfriend was having a driving lesson with one of my mates. His Morris Minor lost it's bonnet in the same way. Flew right over the top of the car, after hitting the windscreen. My girlfriend was lucky to survive.
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Austin Shackles wrote: .....

Yeah, I agree. That's an option that I like.

Reply to
drystone

On or around 5 Jun 2006 13:52:19 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@swiftdsl.com.au" enlightened us thusly:

they put blue loctite or simialr on brake caliper bolts on some stuff.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

**Nope. No racist s**te. Just the facts. Here's another fine example of British automotive engineering:

And another:

One of my mates used to own a Range Rover. After a ski trip in one, I remarked that the only part of the car which moved quickly, on depressing the accelerator pedal was the tacho. It was a slow, expensive, unreliable piece of shit. But hey, defend it all you want.

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Too many drivers of modern cars almost never open the bonnet of their vehicle to do basic checks. Many drivers seem to think that nothing under the bonnet needs checking inbetween services which in a way is a tribute to the reliablity of modern vehicles but IMO its wrong and can lead to problems which would of otherwise been found and rectified long before they became dangerous.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

The fuel gauges also move very fast on range rovers! ;-)

Youve noticed this thread is going out in alt.fan.landrover too? which is also fairly UK based, so theres just no need to start trolling! There are plenty of Aussie things we could pick on if we tried!

I also dont see how anybody could take offence to a reliant robin or triumph herald! Sure they may have their faults, but so does everything and they are somewhat more intersting than the majority of new cars on the road that all look the same..

Reply to
Tom Woods

ROFL, anyone who would buy a three wheel vehicle is getting just waht they ask for! Fun!!!

Reply to
PeterD

Or a Saab... Ouch!

Reply to
ant

If you want to rubbish British motor engineering using Reliant as an example, you are inviting them to bring up the Lightburn Zeta as an example of Australian engineering. Most Australians would prefer to forget it. JD

Reply to
JD

LOL, the panels flexed then looked "good as new" once the car stopped rolling. The bonnet even closed itself. LOL

Reply to
googlegroups

On or around Tue, 06 Jun 2006 09:22:09 -0400, PeterD enlightened us thusly:

mind, I've long thought than Needell has way to much opinon of himself and a lack of convincing ability to match it.

you could do that trick with *any* car.

having owned and driven various reliants, and yes, crashed 'em too, they're a bloody sight more fun than most people think.

and FWIW, I've seen 90 on the clock on a robin.

also interesting to note how relatively unscathed it is, too, afterwards.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, but was it on LPG? Oops - wrong group. :-p

Reply to
athol