Leaking diff pan

My Range Rover 1994 is leaking quire badly from the diff pan. It does not appear to be porous, as I understand this is the normal problem. It does not leak when stationary, only when driving or newly stopped so I presume it is a leak above the oil level. Is there an easy / quick fix for this? And how much will this cost. Also, I understand that a weld on part may be available. How much should I pay for this job to be done and is it a diy job (could I do it myself?

Dave

If it has rust holes it probably is not a DIY job - a matter of removing the diff (with all that entails) cutting off the pan and welding on a new one. If it is only a crack (i.e. solid metal all sides of the hole) above the oil level (probably on the weld), it is feasible to weld it in place. Whether it is a DIY job depends on your welding skills. An alternative would be to find a complete front axle assembly and change it. Sorry, no idea of costs, but these will depend on what country you are in anyway. JD

Reply to
JD

Being a Rangie it should have a salisbury diff. As such the only piece prone to rust is the rear cover which is a bolt on part. It should be well within the capabilities of someone with a slight bit of mechanical aptitude (and a socket set) to unbolt the cover, clean up the mating surfaces and reassemble with a new gasket (and a new cover if the present one is rusted through).

Reply to
EMB

Now, that would be correct but for one minute detail, it was the 110 and 109 that had a salisbury diff, the rangies (classics) all had rover diffs and welded axle casings with no bolt-on diff pans. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Thanks Brian - serves me right for trying to answer questions about Solihull's finest at the end of an all-night server rebuilding mission - I'm that bloody tired that I'm not sure I should have driven home.

Reply to
EMB

In message , EMB writes

RRC were not fitted with the salisbury axle. !

Not for UK market anyway.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Or anywhere else. JD