military Landrover petrol tank rusty

My 'other' tank hasn't been used for a long time. It has rust scales and a strange pale reddish/an deposit from evaporating petrol. By my reckoning I need to buy a good 30 quids worth of acid, metal ready and por-15 to repair it not to mention the time. It may well have larger holes that cant be repaired this way anyway. I seem to remember seeing military tanks selling for £75. Are these worth buying or are they inferior to the 'proper' military tanks? Are proper military tanks available? If so, does anyone know how much and from where?

Reply to
mark

I got a new tank for the lightweight a couple of months ago, it was £80 from the local land rover garage Four+4 in leeds.

Tank is more rounded but seems OK, has an extra layer along the bottom like the old one.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

There is a discussion involving military fuel tanks on the EMLRA forum:

Can't say if the tanks being discussed are indeed genuine or even take offs etc but there are prices and part numbers there.
and
get a mention. Blanchards seem to have 2 prices for tanks though, one is reasonable, the other almost double. The Blanchard site has a pdf file of their stock to download.

Do you have both tanks still, is one not servicable? I did this with my SIIa and will get around to replacing it when one comes along but it didn't cause me any probs as long as you don t drive past too many petrol stations.

All the best

Reply to
wayne

In message , snipped-for-privacy@lardrover.co.uk writes

I had read that particular item. I was waiting for someone to actually buy one :) It seems the Blanchard ex Dutch army items are the right ones. These tanks are quite a feature and stand out a bit so I don't want to fit something that doesn't have that pronounced ledge showing along the bottom edge. (Says he with the defender mirrors). I was trying to work out whether it was worth the hassle trying to clean and repair the old one in terms of cost. If I have to buy a Dutch army item its probably worth trying to rescue the existing one.

The drivers side tank is fine if a tad little :) Although I did manage to kick the tap over just the once and wonder where all the juice had gone :)

Reply to
mark