MOD Landrover power cut-off switch

Dont know is this is any use to anyone?

John Moppett

"John Moppett" wrote

Whilst on about such things has anyone found a similar switch with a key so it effectively becomes a immobiliser? I'm fed up with taking bits off the 90 every time I use it to stop scum nicking it.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Some of the machines I use have one in the main battery lead, it's a big plastic toggle that comes out in the off position.

Big problem is that if there are any permanently live systems on the vehicle they have to be separately wired, if they are wired through the ignition switch then when you forget to reconnect the cutoff you blow fuses.

They look like this

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Hum, must be possible to avoid this with a relay I would have thought.

BFO switch still does the starter current but feed to ignition switch is via the NO contacts of a relay that is fed from the switched side of the battery. If the current rating required for the relay for all the ignition switch circuits just put the solenoid feed through the relay. Hum couple of snags:

1) the ignition load might still be enough to blowen fusen. 2) If 1) didn't happen you'd wonder why everything was "alive" but no starter! Ah, simple cure for that, put a buzzer on the NC contacts. B-)
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have them on all my motors. To get past the perm live issue (e.g. for stereos) you just need to bypass the cutoff switch with a small wire. Put something like a 10A fuse in it in an in-line connector. This will leave a permenant feed. If you forget to put the switch in or someone else tries to start it the fuse will blow. Its also not as obvious to the thief that you have a cut off switch too then.

Or you can just cut the HT feed to the starter and not the feed to the fusebox/everything else.

Reply to
Tom Woods

A battery isolator with a key.

from

half-way down) Alex

Reply to
Alex

"Alex" wroteafter "Bob Hobden" asked after

Excellent. Thank you, just the job. They would have to rewire it to get it going.

Reply to
Bob Hobden