novice off roader

Hi Guys,

I am a Land Rover virgin......

I am about to purchase a freelander - my first ever 4 wheel drive. I had a half days off roading / rally driving at Camp Hill North Yorks last week and I am totally hooked on the off roading - rally driving scared the bejesus out of me ;)

Can anyone tell me how to go about finding off roading clubs in my area (Derbyshire / Cheshire border) especially one suitable for novices like myself?

TIA,

Traci x

Reply to
Traci Good

And there is Newcastle and Nantwich but there site seems to be AWOL at the mo...

also...

choices choices eh!

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

hiya,

lucky for you , Buxton and District Land Rover club are holding a play day shortly.

this will give you a chance to get out with your motor and have some fun for a day or two.

theres plenty of club members on hand to offer advice, and theres parts of the course for all types of 4x4s,

i am personaly inviting you to come along and give it a try

welcome to our landy world

Andy.

pop along to the web site for more details of events were planning

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

In message , Traci Good writes

One thing I would strongly recommend is that you get yourself a professional training session. It will be well worth the cost and may well save you from learning one or two things the hard way!!!!

Reply to
hugh

Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for that - I am grinning from ear to ear :) the play days just happen to be on my birthday weekend too - what a bonus..... I am just north of Buxton so the venue is perfect :)

Traci x

Reply to
Traci Good

In news:c1thlb$6ie$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com, Traci Good sprayed:

The Deak & Pukeries must be nearish to you too, they claim the peak district as being in their catchment.

Reply to
GbH

Traci,

An online 4x4 club with regular events is located here :

Neil

Neil Brownlee

And of course

You may or may not have lots of nice green lanes near you too.

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around 5 Mar 2004 12:53:34 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

we used to have some 'round here 'til they got buggered up.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What happened to them, over use?

I think some members of Glass near me are planning a trip up your way some time in the near future. You're not too far from Strata Florida are you?

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around 5 Mar 2004 14:07:10 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

Over use by a particular organisation, according to those who live nearby. there's one in particular [details by email on request - it's a very sensitive area] which it turns out apparently is NOT a BOAT - this has been basically trashed - you'd not get a standard LR up it.

Others in the area are being over-used, too, although legally. To be fair, a fair part of the one mentioned above is marked as a BOAT on the OS map - NOT, however, the whole length, and now apparently (to late) it's become apparent that it shouldn't have vehicular rights.

There's a good deal of resentment about "off-roaders" in the area. I think a large part of this is aimed at the organisation alluded to (I'm well aware of the slander/libel laws, TYVM) which has a website claiming access to large amounts of private off-road tracks, pity then that they need to bugger up the plot for the rest of us.

The majority of greenlanes are NOT suitable for regular use. I know that each party only comes once or twice a year, but there are just too many people chasing too few lanes now, and I foresee in the not-to-distant future that they'll all end up closed apart from a few where the local organisations are able to maintain them.

not that far, no. There's a route from Strata down to the "Abergwesyn road" (treagron-abergwesyn) which I've never actually driven. That's not the one referred to above, BTW. Difficult to find the northern (Strata) end of it, too many forestry roads about the place.

Reply to
Austin Shackles