Now you can buy a Series LR for the price of a new 110!

I did read the spec page, the comment attributed to me above refered to the Nissan Navarra, not the Santana if you read the OP.

Agreed, but at the asking price, it should have coils - it's a decent motor, just too expensive IMHO.

Reply to
Exit

Fairy nuff

I thought that was why they couldn't import them into the US? There is no mention of the airbag on the website.

I'm not arguing with the statistics, but they don't tell you the safety of the vehicle. They tell you the likelihood of dying while driving one - people in Defenders drive differently on average to people in Mondeos and therefore have different accidents. It is not a like-for-liike comparison between cars.

Which car would you prefer to drive into a tree at 30mph?

Given the choice I'd have the Defender every time too.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Well as it has leafs and part-time 4WD I'd say it is closer to a Series 3 with a disc brake conversion than a 110 with leaves. . . . .

Shouldn't be too hard as my 90 V8 had an LT85 'Santana' box fitted as standard and that was permanent 4WD. But why bugger about when you've just soen 110 TD5 money?

Plus VAT.

I'd have to drive one before I decide that and I haven't yet.

Reply to
Exit

Yes, but it's still not a huge amount of torque from a 2004 engine of that capacity.

Reply to
Exit

Although, if we're talking imports, TI Console (who probably aren't a bunch of fly-by-night cowboys) will sell you a new Santana for 18k Euros (plus taxes).

QrizB

On or around Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:39:25 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

sorry. missed that. not familiar with the nissan thing...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:44:43 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

I was thinking of asking the bloke for a test drive 'round the off-road course :-) Though a test-drive around Swansea would be more to the point for assessing the improvements to the body and comfort levels.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:45:55 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

I tend to assume they've selected a mild state of tune for it. A quick look at the Iveco site suggests a 146CV, 320Nm version used in the Daily van, in addition to the one Santana are using - this also has peak torque down at

1500 revs, which would be nice for off-roading, while quoting power figure at the same 3600 as the 125CV version.

which, it has to be said, would be more fun... I'd have thought they'd offer a choice - the vehicle should be well able to handle that much power. Maybe Iveco want lots of money for it.

TI Console's site says it's using an LT230 T-box, wasn't aware that there was one of them with switchable 4WD.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

GKN do a mod as part of their freewheeling hub kit - maybe thats the source.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

On or around Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:40:25 +0000, richard.watson enlightened us thusly:

could be. I didn't know that.

however, if it's a T-box with a diff (which it likely is, if it's the LT230) there's nothing to stop you using it in 4WD on-road if you want to.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I think thats passenger airbags - the Defender has driver ones.

Errr. . . . .a defender - i hit a tree at 40 mph on ice in one and drove home immediately after! :)

Course we all would - I like the Santana but it needs to be cheaper.

Reply to
Exit

Neither should you be, being a good upstanding LR owner! :)

Reply to
Exit

The safest car is the one that does not crash in the first place.

A sinclair C5 is probably quite survivable if you never take it on the road.

I am happy with the kind of cautios driving I have to do without ABS and disc brakes.

Interestingly when I lock the wheels it skids in a straight line, none of that slewing over to the far side of the road like my grannys and sundry Fords

Reply to
Larry

But it is not the real thing is it.?

All the fun and leaks for 2K gotta be better all round.

Reply to
Larry