Xfer stuck question

Hi all,

I'm a newbie landy owner and would like some advice.

I've got a 1984 CSW that has managed to stick itself in lo gear. I've investigated as much as I can without getting into the xfer box and taken it up to a garage for some professional help.

I got a call this afternoon saying that the clutch had to come out for them to even look at the box. Is this right?

Any comments welcome.

Dan

Reply to
danp

The stuck transfer levers I have dealt with have all been easily remidied by access through the plate under the middle seat. Check the linkage is working correctly, it normally seizes where it goes into the transfer box housing, but it's easy to unseize by removing a few bolts and applying light oil/working it a bit. Definately check the linkages work right before ripping it to bits, I mean has this just happened, or have you left it in low box for ages, more background info might help here.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

I'd have thought the clutch is the _last_ thing that would come out- the only thing I've had a apart was a Series 3 but I'm pretty sure the structure hasn't changed that much- If you want to change the clutch you have to remove or move back the gear and transfer boxes (or the engine....). When I needed to strip my gearbox and didn't have access to a hoist, the first thing I took out was the transfer box. (Well, after the floor and the dozens of rusty bolts with screw heads on holding it in- not something you want to get into if you can help it. Do coilers have a removable gearbox crossmember?).

I'd double check what they meant.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Agreed - the usual culrpit is the clevis snapping - awkward to get at but no major dismantling required.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks gu. ys:

Box has been left in hi since God was born as far as I can tell. This is an old farm vehicle so a bit of a project. I've checked the linkage from stick to box but perhaps should have been a bit braver and taken off the top plate for a look.

I've also taken out the checker plating and its dozen rusty bolts (it is a pain especially on your own) and looked down through the middle seat. As I say I should have been braver and will let the garage know that they don't need to fiddle with the clutch. Will keep you all informed.

Ta,

D.

Reply to
danp