OT - Agricultural Land

Can anyone give me a very basic summary of what can and cannot be done with agricultural land? There's 13 acres up for sale nearby and I quite fancy it, although I don't really know why.

I'm guessing there are rates to pay (which I can find out about) and the property summary suggests it is ideal for equestrian use. I'm looking for some very rough info about what I would be allowed / not allowed to do with such a parcel of land.

My own private fishing lake and off-road course sounds appealing!

Like I say - OT!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Agriculture! :)

most other things would need planning consent :(

Reply to
Denis F

As it is suggested for equestrian use I suppose I could spend all day with friends towing empty horseboxes around it, ostensibly looking for my horse!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Apart from Denis, David Bell and Huw will know the ins and outs better than I. Equestrian generally is not agriculture (unless the animals work the land or feed solely from foraging on the land). Agricultural land is not rated. You may get away with playing on it for 28 days, then the planning people may get excited.

There is a resident land agent on uba but he would probably send you a bill ;-)

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie

To quote from the selling agent...

"Of interest to Horse and Pony lovers, Farmers and Smallholders.

The land provides an excellent opportunity for an individual to purchase a useful parcel of level grassland ideal for agricultural or equestrian use

13.47 acres (5.45 Hectares)."

I think I need to talk to the agent and find out just what this land is currently used for.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Any alteration to the use of the land OR "landscaping" such as digging holes etc... would need planning permission and possibly an archaeological survey and or watching brief. If you make the alterations without planning permission you may be required to restore the land to it's original condition.

You will need public liability insurance to cover the land and there is normally an obligation to maintain boundaries which can sometimes mean you have to maintain a livestock proof fence/barrier at all times. In some cases the land may be eligible for aid/grants but that will depend on the area.

Phone the local planning officer first and talk to him - you'll be amazed how open they are and will tell you if you should expect any problem with future changes of use. He/she may also be aware of any archaeological restrictions on the land.

We nearly bought a 12 acre piece of land for the club that had previously been used for trials and comp. safaris... the local planning officer pointed out that they would revoke the 14/28 day rule for the land, requiring us to apply for planning permission and that it would be unlikely that they would allow planning permission. He also put me in touch with the county archaeologist who told me he had just applied to have the whole site covered as an ancient monument ! I was very glad I made that phone call...

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Tim Hobbs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Right now 13 acres could be a pain in the backside!

I have 27 acres here which I used to farm (pedigree sheep), then when the bottom fell out of that market so I let the grazing. Made almost as much as I did on the sheep with not nearly as much work. Unfortunately, letting land for grazing has it's drawbacks -- like the owners of the cattle tapping on the door at near midnight wanting to use the phone to call the vet! Horse owners are a law unto themselves! In short, you never quite feel it is your own place with strangers wandering around at will.

Now, post Foot & Mouth, there are fewer grazing animals in the country and grazing is not so easy to let. I am going for forestry and should do OK with some of the new grants if I do most of the work myself.

As regards restrictions on the use of the land, that is something you engage both a solicitor and a land agent to find out. Neither work for nothing as you will soon discover!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Tim Hobbs posted ...

Heheheh, would this be anywhere near Doncaster ???

If it is, and it's where I'm also looking, we may get to bid against each other .. as I have also been looking at some 'agricultural' land for a similar 'Off-Roading' type park .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Unlikely, 'cos it seems to be sold! :-(

I wasn't planning any public off-roading - purely for my own self-indulgence and somewhere for the dogs to play.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Hi Derry,

I'm very envious! I wasn't planning to let it out though, just use it for my own pleasure and then sell it on one day.

I don't feel entirely at home in the middle of a town, and feel the need for some 'space' that I don't have to share with anyone else.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Sounds a good idea. How much does 17 acres go for then?

Reply to
David French

They were asking (and seem to have achieved) 45K for 13 acres of land. I know for fact that it has a tendency to flood (which didn't worry me too much) but it has a gate onto a main road and is quite flat and level. One boundary is a nice stream.

As it's less than a mile away from me (via 3 decent pubs) it would have made a fabulous afternoon retreat, especially if I could have worked out some system of jamming mobile signals!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs posted ...

Wasn't the same bit I'm after then .. ;)

And friends, acquaintances and folk from afl ?? .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Just switch it off. I'd suggest leaving it at home, but one of the only times Bruce ever left his behind he got himself and the Discovery very stuck!

Reply to
Nikki

Tim> could have worked out some system of jamming mobile signals!

Turning it off works for me.

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"

Well the 'right to roam' legislation has put the kybosh on that then hasn't it !

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

My dog hasn't read it.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

doesn't apply to fenced areas - mainly only open moorland ( around here anyway - {Exmoor} )

Reply to
Denis F

However, DEFRA are making mistakes with the maps, and anyone who owns land might be wise to check. I'm particularly thinking of recently- built houses.

Reply to
David G. Bell

that would be

Denis F