OT: BFG Tyres For Sale

As subject, offered here first before going on ebay.

Set of four BFG AT 31 x 1050 R15 tyres

Done more than 20,000 miles, but still very good condition with lots of tread left. They're so good we've bought some more ... ;)

Pictures here .. scroll through to see depths and conditions of treads.

As can be seen some of the treads are worn and some edges are rounded, so when off-roading you can feel them just starting to slip .. I am 'adventurous' when it comes to off-roading, but we can't afford MT's and the subsequent wear rate as we still need to cover lots of miles towing the caravan with the Disco still. :( We've never experienced any problems with these tyres other than ...

  1. Left Front tyre has a nail in it, picked up within 2000 miles of new, but left in (on independant tyre fitters advice) and it never lost pressure until this year when it started to lose pressure at a rate of about 5PSI a week. In the last three weeks the rate has increased and is now losing 10PSI every two days. The head is just poking through into the carcase. It was this increase that made my wife say we need new tyres more quickly than we first thought. See
  2. Right Rear tyre has a screw in it, picked up about 1000 miles ago, and we were again advised by a Tyre Fitter to leave it in. This loses pressure about 10 PSI every two weeks. See
    Newsgroup price (I have receipt to show the replacements cost us £388.12) will be £125, OVNO. You arrange collection or courier pick-up from Doncaster.

If no-one wants them, they will go on ebay next Tuesday starting at £100 using the above as the description text. We're away this weekend (off-roading in Scarborough/Goathland?North Yorks area) from tomorrow afternoon, and we don't know if we'll have web access, so if you want them you might have to be a little patient waiting for email replies.

The reply address is real and mine, just post on the newsgroup you've emailed me as I don't check Hotmail at all unless told there's a message waiting. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Stupid of me.

Price to anyone from the newsgroup will be £60

Reply to
Paul - xxx (mobile)

I find it hard to believe that not just one, but two, so called tyre fitters advised you to leave nails/screws in tyres. Lazy barstewards and stupid too.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Their rationale went that the holes were better plugged.

My instinct was to pull them out and see what happens. I also voiced the opinion that leaving a foreign object in a tyre could only have made things worse. They both said no, leave them in. I think the screw did go through the carcase from day one, but the nail didn't and eventually worked it's way in. Thinking about this I suspect that if we'd pulled the nail before it had gone any further it would never have punctured the tyre sufficiently for it to lose pressure.

I simply listened to their advice.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

ebay 140163694544 and 140163700623

No worries. LOL @ Britprat, if the name fits ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx (mobile)

On or around Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:22:54 +0100, Paul - xxx enlightened us thusly:

How much tread depth on 'em, average?

Mind, Doncaster is too far away and I'm completely boracic. But they are the size I want...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Between 8 and 10 mm, I've tried to include a tape measure in the pics, but I know it's not ideal to see exactly what they are, see the OP. They've worn very evenly on axles, fronts are ~8mm Rears are ~10mm.

I'm putting them on ebay later this evening along with some Arrows (Archery). If you want the tyres they'll be starting on ebay at £45 but you can have the set for £60. Always a problem with big 'eavy stuff, getting it to those who need it.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:52:14 +0100, Paul - xxx enlightened us thusly:

wot arrows?

best leave the tyres, I think I'll have to get some for the tranny first. The 110 is still waiting for a crossmember from britprat, when they can be arsed to send it, or make arrangements for someone else to. I gather they used to send them direct and now they don't, or somesuch, and I suspect mine got caught in the changeover period. Doesn't alter the fact that they've got my money and I've not got the crossmember though :-( If it don't show soon I'll be after a refund instead, I could do with the money more than the crossmember right now.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:23:28 +0100, "Paul - xxx (mobile)" enlightened us thusly:

the gold ones might be eastons, in which case the spine is (was) written on them in bluey-coloured writing, fairly small and hard to spot.

I use ACCs...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I didn't know that, not been into Archery for long ... ;)

They're Easton XX75's 2016, so many thanks, Austin, much appreciated. I'll stick a note on the auction.

Reply to
Paul - xxx (mobile)

On or around Mon, 01 Oct 2007 21:37:22 +0100, "Paul - xxx (mobile)" enlightened us thusly:

always interesting to find another victim...I mean enthusiast. Last weekend was the welsh field shoot, at which I conspicuously failed to cover myself in glory. Identified some problems in the bow setup though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I consider I've done well when I manage not to skewer any innocent spectators. My son is passably good at harchery tho so obviously didn't inherit my (lack of) skill.

Reply to
EMB

My sixth lesson tonight.

I'm impressed with myself that as I've improved, I've only missed the boss twice ... and I know why on both occasions.

Although I say it myself I appear to be reasonably adept ... ;)

Mind, I've only shot to 40 yards so far .... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx