OT: Bizarre co-incidence

Some might remember that I went to court last year to challenge (unsuccessfully) a speeding prosecution. The main witness against me was the camera operator, a young man who at the time of the trial had just been accepted into the police force. I'll call him Fred.

Today my fettling of the brakes on the S2a was interrupted by a chimney fire at my M-in-L's house which turned out to be something more serious involving three fire engines, an ambulance and, later on, a police car. (Apparently the FB call them routinely to see if there are suspicious circumstances.) And out of the police car stepped - Fred. We recognised each other immediately and had an uneasy chat about - you know - things. Putting the name and the face together, I then realised that I used to teach him English about 10 years ago. There was an interesting combination of power relationships - ex-teacher/ex-pupil, prosecuting witness/accused motorist, and now police investigator/potential insurance scam punter. I was gald when he went, although I made sure we parted on good terms.

Funny thing - he said that after I had cross-examined him on his evidence in court he was sure I would win. I had introduced a lot of doubt into his mind over the quality of his own evidence, and if it had been up to him he would have let me off.

What a day - now for a shower to get rid of the smoky smell, a beer to calm the nerves, and off to bed. The S2a brakes will have to wait.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

So you are a cop trainer ???? ;-) Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

...and Erik-Jan Geniets spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

No, I used to teach English in secondary school (11-18 yrs).

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Spooky story Richard, heres my bizarre co-incidence........

2 days ago ordered some spares for an old radio controlled car of mine. The guy comes from Corfe Mullen in Wimborne. Sent the cheque off to him on Friday night...........Saturday morning when i checked my e mails i found an e mail from a bloke i was buying a DVD from containing his address so i could send him a cheque....guess where he lives.......Corfe Mullen.......spooky or what. Just out of interest they live 0.4 miles apart (According to Autoroute). Let's see how long these parcels take the Royal Mail to deliver..........

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

...and Dom J spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Now if it had been the SAME bloke, I would be advising you to get your own show on ITV.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:16:58 -0000, "Richard Brookman" scribbled the following nonsense:

time for a poll then, how many of us admit to being teachers then?

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

...and Simon Isaacs spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

*Was*, from 1977 to 1995.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:12:22 -0000, "Richard Brookman" scribbled the following nonsense:

You started teaching the year I was born.....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Well I work in a Primary School but I'm not a teacher (I fix the computers). My dad's a retired Headmaster and my brother is a current Headmaster - does that count?

Graeme

p.s. I was also a policeman for seventeen years so maybe I should be on 't'other side'?

Reply to
Graeme

Don't worry. I don't care. Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

I didn't think that in this PC world you were allowed to be a "Headmaster", I thought they were all "Headteachers" these days!

(Unless they are in private education of course :-)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Last September I was taking my miniature trains (see

up to Cumbria to ride on a private railway up there. I was also taking a third locomotive that I had collected for a guy in Cumbria from a person in Sussex. (LR content - it was my first long run behind Reggie and when I had the problems of pressuring the fuel tank from the injector pump)

In the week previously there was a request on rec.model.engineering for anybody going up to the Lake District. Could anyone take a package up to Cumbria?

I offered, and said that I could meet the guy at the railway in Cumbria.

It turned out to be the same guy!

Cheers

Peter

110 CSW 2.5TD (now with intercooler) "Reggie the Veggie"
Reply to
puffernutter

Simon Isaacs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

1962 - 1964, and I still have the scars to prove it....

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

On or around Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:25:34 +0000 (UTC), Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

yoofer terday. Mind, I went to secondary school as a pupil in 1977. Not the one Richard taught at, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:13:12 GMT, puffernutter enlightened us thusly:

oooh, fun. You jammy bugger. I'd love to build one of them around this place. Must get some tuits. While your lot seem to have proper rails, I've seen it done with simple steel strip about 1"x1/2". This place has loads of scope - can run around the fields, on bridges over ditches, past the goat houses and the muck heap with the potential to use it instead of a wheelbarrow.

Mind, I dunno if I'd get involved in live steam, fun though it is. Lot of hassle with boiler certificates and so forth.

Always though it'd be fun to make a model of trevithick's loco, mind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's surprising how many LR owners are into steam as well. There are more than a few enthusiasts in the EMLRA, even drivers (is that the correct word). Must be the smell and sight of hot dripping oil.

All the best

Reply to
wayne

...and Simon Isaacs spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

I do not wish to know that....

Reply to
Richard Brookman

...and Austin Shackles spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Thank God for that! Clever + sensible, thick + sensible, and thick + awkward, were always easy. Clever + awkward was always the worst combination.

:-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:41:24 -0000, "Richard Brookman" scribbled the following nonsense:

Still is!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:26:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@lardrover.co.uk scribbled the following nonsense:

yep, even if it is a stationary engine, such as beam engine, the person in charge is still called the "driver"

Reply to
Simon Isaacs