Last year for 22RE

I'm starting to think about buying a newer truck. The one I've got is an '85 SR5 Extra Cab with a 22RE engine. I really like the 22RE and am hoping to find a low mileage later model with the 22RE engine and I'd like to get the newest model available. What is the latest model year to come out with the 22RE? How does the 22RE stack up against the 6 cylinder engine? For power and gas mileage. TIA Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

1995 was the last year of the 22RE. It was the first year of the Tacoma truck. After that it shipped with the newer engine.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

The 22RE is NOT a powerhouse engine, although the earlier, smaller V-6 was no better.

What the 22RE does offer is a 5 main bearing engine that is virtually indestructible, very good mileage too. I had a 87 4-runner that could push

30 MPG at high altitude, maybe 27 at sea level.

Reply to
Dan G