OT, can't upload pics to website, please help the PC illiterate

Hi All,

After the 4x4 panel meeting last night I have been tasked ( again) with putting pictures onto the clubs' website. I've tried before and eventually worked out how to reduce the size of the file, no probs.

However, when I try to upload the picture it says "file is not an image" when it blantantly is!!!

I tried the same thing from my "in-laws" computer and it worked no problem. So, somewhere on my PC, I have a duff setting or something that is stopping me from doing it.

Any bright ideas?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

just on the offchance some stupid software (M$) does not recognise .jpeg files as .jpg really quite annoying I find Derek

Reply to
Derek

Assuming you've uploaded the photos to the web server - care to show us the code on the page?

Reply to
Buzby

If you tell me how I will, I've only uploaded one pic and that was from the inlaws laptop earlier today.

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

He's asking for the URL. The address of the web page.

Reply to
William Tasso

Reply to
Dave R

gotcha

See if anyone can make any sense

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Rename one pic from "test.jpeg" to "test.jpg" (or vice versa) and give it a go?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Reply to
Dave R

Nope, not a dicky bird!

Gett> ok mate. will do

Reply to
Dave R

Anyone got any more ideas?

Dave R wrote:

Reply to
Dave R

Sorry mate but the only Java I am confident with fits in a cup with milk and sugar. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Hmm, works for me . . . .

Reply to
Buzby

Email me the pic and I'll have a peek at it. I suspect that there's a file extension problem, not helped by Windows hiding it from you normally but still using it to foobar everything.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I think we have got our wires crossed. the picture that you can see is the one I put on from another pc. It's uploading the picture from my pc to website that I am having problem with. I select the picture, try to upload it, and after a few seconds it rewards me by telling me "the file is not and image" and therefore does not upload?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Well - then that upload page is the URL that needs to be examined. I assume you have a test account, or can create one for the group to break^w play with?

Reply to
William Tasso

What software are you using to FTP to the web page? Or are you using a CMS system?

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Hello Karen - did you mean to reply to me? it's not my site (any of them) and/or workstation which is playing up. From the O/Ps description I'd guess there's a file upload utility on the page, a la CMS.

Reply to
William Tasso

No, wasn't replying to you William, just continuing the thread a little carelessly. It's a cold winter's day here, my brain doesn't function too well till the temp is back above 20°C, which it should be in a couple of hours.

And how I hate maintaining CMS sites, give me one I can use Dreamweaver on any day :)

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Think we're going to need to know what you are using to upload it. The upload process doesn't usually give a toss as to what is the content/filelype. I suspect the gallery/display software on the server is being confused by somat.

Reply to
GbH