OT: ebay

Wonder if anyone can offer me any advice: I bought a car radio over ebay, I was asked to post a cheque which I duely did. The seller acknowledged the receipt of it and told me that the radio would be despatched as soon as it cleared. The cheque cleared (5th Feb) and about a week after I received the radio. Fine and dandy, however I've been receiving emails from ebay telling me that the seller has instructed them that I have not paid. Unfortunately I failed to keep any of the correspondence he sent me, but I do have a copy of that sent to him, I also have a copy of my bank statement. I have emailed ebay and the seller to the effect that if this is pursued any further I will be forced to seek legal advice. Question is, does anyone have any ideas on how I stand and what I should/shouldn't be doing now.

Thanks very much

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

uk.people.consumers.ebay might have some useful advice as well. They have a FAQ at

All the best

Reply to
wayne

Hi Graham, was feedback posted by you and the seller after the sale? If so what was said?

Ask eBay why if the goods were not paid for, then why did the sell dispatch the goods to you?

Was the delivery by a receipted form eg courier, registered post etc?

Sounds like a scam to avoid either paying eBay or bullying to get a duplicate payment.

Can your bank advise who and where the cheque was deposited to?

This confirms the importance of feedback-you can say such things as "took personal cheque and then shipped quickly after clearing great eBayer" etc

Good luck-eBay can be a good experience if careful.

Cheers

Phillip

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Simply tell eBay to f*ck off. You can provide evidence of payment, tell them that should they wish to pay the cost of your bank providing a photocopy of the cleared cheque, you'd be happy to send it to them.

You may also mention that the seller has potentially acted fraudulently, copy this to the seller and (in a polite way) just suggest that the police may be able to track who cashed the cheque is the seller claims it wasn't him/her. You may find that his/her memory is jogged by this (don't bother actually calling the police though, they'll tell you it's a civil matter unless you have evidence of a fraud).

Reply to
Mother

Could be a spoof Email.

Contact the seller. Go to My Ebay. Check out Items I've Won. You may need to change the last 2 days box . It will go back 30 days.

C C

Reply to
Colonel

Posted some to him saying it was all good, which as far as I was aware it was at that point. He never gave me any feedback. Read some of his feedback before I made the transaction, 98% was positive so I thought would be ok.

Have done that, they have yet to reply.

Registered post. Had to go and collect it from post office and sign for it.

Thats what I thought

hmmm not sure, will have to phone them and find out.

see above

Have made many transactions and this is the first problem I've had.

Thanks for the help

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Kind of did that :o)

You can provide evidence of payment,

Good idea, will do that.

Told both parties that I felt something underhand was going on and that if it was not resolved soon I would be taking legal advice. No reply as yet but will see what happens.

Cheers Martyn

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

No reply yet

It appears there, and tells me that I have yet to pay. Recon he's trying to pull a fast one.

Cheers

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

No I think you did not complete the check out. Before you sent the cheque. You should have clicked the Pat now button and then selected the pay by cheque option.

Check out his feedback. Click the number in brackets beside his username. You will soon get a picture of the kind of seller he is.

However it's my guess is thet the mail you receiver is either an error or a hoax.. To put your mind at rest. Why not send him a letter with a copy of the email. Ask him if he was aware of it. If you sent him a cheque you should have his postal address.

BTW: Watch out for hoax mails supposed to be from EBay. Asking you to enter your credit card or bank details. Never give these out from an email. If you need to Always log on at EBay first.

C C

Reply to
Colonel

check out

relevant to this thread Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

slightly relevant to this thread>

Sorry - I never buy from folks on Ebay that (a) cannot spell and (b) type all in block capitals ;-)

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

On or around Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:54:18 -0000, "Andy.Smalley" enlightened us thusly:

hehe.

I thought he was selling a bridge for a moment.

hmmm.

wonder if anyone's tried listing Tower Bridge?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

||||| check out ||| ||| ||

||| slightly relevant to this thread ||| ||| Andy ||| || Sorry - I never buy from folks on Ebay that (a) cannot spell and (b) || type all in block capitals ;-) || || Graeme

Check out the guy's feedback too - quite a scrapper.

I think it was P G Wodehouse who said that it was never difficult to distinguish a Scotsman with a grievance from a ray of sunshine.

;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

No, did that.

Seems ok, but then I left him good feedback before all this.

Did that three days ago, no response as yet.

Have that, and his phone number, but he isn't answering the phone.

Thanks I'll remember that.

Cheers

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

I use that rule too!

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Problem resolved (I hope). He responded to my e-mail that made mention of legal action and has suddenly remembered banking my cheque, funny that. Hope its the last I hear. Thanks for all your advice.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G