OT: Halfords Prof - Tool case

My case for my socket set has finally given up, both plastic tangs have now snapped off.

Anyone know if the case alone can be bought? Will call them tomorrow but just pondering options. Don't really want a tin case.

Other option would be to buy another set and assign this lot to the garage toolbox that I don't have yet. :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

We did have a thread here a few months back on socket storage racks.

Steve

Reply to
steve

could you fit some leather straps or something onto it?

i had a cheapo halfords toolkit which i carried in the car but that case has also exploded (probably due to all the extra tools i put in it!). I have loads of laptop/projector bags which i think will make a good replacement.

ps. machine mart sell some nice metal toolboxes with drawers and have them on display in the shop!

Reply to
Tom Woods

"Lee_D" wrote

Whilst on this subject I've been looking at these...

Anyone got/had one? Are they any good?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Ive got one. it seems to do the job fine!

Ive put castors on mine so i can keep it in the house and roll it outside to use it (i have no garage)

I got the one without the ball bearing runners and it seems to work alright. The week after I bought it they put them on offer and a could have afforded a ball bearing one instead - but i dont think it makes much difference to its actual operation. I've got some rubber matting in mine that i cut up to fit (it came from a truck i think), but they also seem to have offers where they include rubber mats for inside the drawers.

Ofcourse, now i have it i've filled it up and i want a bigger one with more drawers in ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

When I bought mine it had a lifetime guarantee - the case wasn't excluded as far as I know.....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Get an old inner tube (maybe need a truck one) and cut yourself some

1" wide sections which should hold case shut a treat.

Sell rest of inner tube on ebay as "snoopy loop kit".

David

Reply to
rads

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Spot on! I popped in to get a new sponge so I could cleanse the grey one.... turns out it was white after all!

Anyway half way around drewling over there tool chests I remembered this and asked the chap if they did them, he asked me what case it was ..... a quick look in the display showed mine to be obsolete but I identified a case which had pretty much the same contents (if not more) and they said they would order one... when I went to the counter and spoke to the lady to sort the order she just happened to have one in which a customer had orderd around six months ago and never collected... cost my favorite price - nil! they didn't even ask for the old case back, I was well stunned and felt rather shadey walking out even though I'd been entirely honest.

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

rads uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I like it..... now I've a spare tool case :-) just need to find some tools to populate it... though I'd probably manage to from stuff I've been given from everyone elses garage clearouts on the estate.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

"Tom Woods" wrote in reply to... "Bob Hobden" who asked after

Thanks Tom, as I suspected, a bit like a greenhouse then, never big enough.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Aye avoid the narrower 610 wide chests when you run out of space they have no step up boxes to fit ( and don't answer email queries ) Derek

Reply to
Derek

"Derek" replied to

I was thinking about the large chests on castors as my arthritic spine sometimes objects to me lifting heavy boxes in and out of my garage. It would replace my WW2 Spitfire mechanics wooden chest and be mobile so I wouldn't have to walk so far for the right spanner. :-) Then I can put a smaller chest, to go on top, on my pressy list for next year.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

That what SWMBO bought me ( if Carlsberg supplied women etc) a couple of years back

really a very effective way of moving tools to the job in hand but unluckily the 5 drawer cabinet (wheels ) and 3 drawer topbox soon get filled so the step up box was on the pressie list for this year. Unfortunately they don't do it in the size to fit so future-proof yourself if you think its going to be a bit tight.. Whatever you do choose it beats the hell out of lugging a steel cantilever box about somebody offer me a fiver and they can have the ultimate body building tool. Stallone never had one in Rocky but only because he couldn't lift it out of the car!you probably shouldn't look at this catalogue page

Derek

"Derek" wrote after Bob H wrote

No's one and two combined would be worth more than my Landy! Very nice though.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I thought you should see what about cant see the point of storage that costs more than the items being stored I reckon Kato is worth about the same as my toolkit hope he will last as long ! Mind you we can dream do you reckon this lot should have disc brakes and a motor fitted? If I pushed it down the run up slope of my garage I would be down the road a piece before I could be stop it

unless thats Richard Hammond's brother stood next to it. (note I didnt put the page with a price up thats a bit too far out ) Derek

Reply to
Derek