OT: Large Transplant?

You guys are always transplanting engines. How about this one?

Regards

Richard

Reply to
RichardB

Whats the CO2 emmission level; bet the R Tax is a bit hefty :-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

5 and a half MILLION pounds feet of torque, Jeezuz, would love to see the size of the halfshafts........

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

The shafts on big ships I've seen are over 1 metre diameter.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

You can see a drive shaft coming out the back of the engine on one of the pics on the web page, from the scale of the chap near it I'd say it probably comes up to his waist.. It's a big 'un.

Despite all that the engine looks very simple, and if it wasn't for the occasional chap standing on it, it'd look like an old vintage car engine!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

This is a page update - sadly they seem to have left out the pictures of the ladders going down into the casing. Pretty impressive all the same, though.

Reply to
Mother

Thinking of transplanting how do they get an engine from the works to the boat it is destined for? 2,300 tonnes is not particulary portable...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would guess it is transported in bits and assembled on site - although some awful big bits get transported by road, usually in the wee hours of Sunday morning. Another alternative would be the factory is along side a dock and it can be directly loaded onto a ship - the shipbuilding yard would certainly have facilities for handling weights of this size. JD

Reply to
JD

I used to work for a shipping company many years ago ... the engines are fully assembled at the factory (often Switzerland for the Sulzers, as far as I recall) then dismantled & assembled into the ships after launch

- launch weight is obviously kept as low as possible.

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

That confirms what I would expect. JD

Reply to
JD

I like the way the fuel consumption is calculated - per *HP* per hour! I guess it makes it look a little better that way! 1660 gallons of diesel per hour at the most efficient setting makes the V8 seem positively frugal!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Normal method of quoting fuel consumption for marine and stationary engines. Lets buyers see whether a larger or smaller engine uses less fuel, knowing how much power is needed - i.e. do we get an engine that is operating near to maximum power most of the time or a larger one and operate it below maximum power. JD

Reply to
JD

Heavy Fuel Oil not diesel. ISTR that HFO is somewhat thicker and muckier than nice clean diesel. Probably needs a preheater before injection, remember these engines rotate slowly, 102rpm (less than 2 revolutions each second) so you don't need the rapid explosive burn that a car engine, going at a few thousand rpm, does.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Mon, 19 Jun 2006 23:27:08 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, fuel oil is disgusting stuff.

Thing in the notional geographic last time or the time before about nanotechnology - one of the things they mention is a "filter" which you pass crude oil through and get diesel out the other side...

's not got it on the online thing though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Does HFO not come under the "diesel" umbrella? I'm just asking - I don't know myself!

Now presumably we are going to get into a discussion of whether diesel refers to the fuel or the engine design I guess?!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

In France, the engine is referred to as Diesel, but the fuel is Gasoil.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Not in my book but then I make distinction between kerosene, paraffin, Jet A1, 28sec heating oil etc.

In the case of the BFO subject of this thread it is the design. Diesel type engines can be built to burn almost anything that can be "injected" by some means. I bet with a bit of enginiuty and getting the air/fuel mix right you could burn coal dust or flour.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yep, the original engine design by Herr Diesel burnt coal dust.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

We did some "forensic" research on an HFO c*ck up for a marine loss adjustors a few years ago - where an entire tanker ship of the stuff froze up so badly they had to dig it out of the tanks. Its horrible stuff - looks and handles like tarry sand ! The case hung around who knew what was in the tanks, when they knew it, and was the test they used the right one to have used under the circumstances.

Steve

Reply to
Steve