OT: LJKS?

Had a few glasses of Tesco's best Merlot over the weekend and got to thinking (as you do).

Does anyone else remember LJK Setright, columnist in Bike magazine in the

70s?

Brilliant writer, vast knowledge of theory and practice, great character. Is he still writing today? He must be getting on a bit by now. Perhaps I don't read the right magazines any more. Wonder what he would have made of Land Rovers. Too all-purpose and clumsy, probably. Her preferred the light, the precise and the elegant.

Long John Kick Start, they called him. Brilliant guy. Told you it was OT :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Remember him well, he also had a column in "car" magazine. Dunno what he's up to now though...... Badger.

Reply to
Badger

... and one of the girlie top shelf mags too (or so I'm lead to believe not ever having read such things, of course)

Great writer. Very informative.

Reply to
SteveG

Ah, Leonard John Kensell Setright. Author of "You can do it in an MG".

I remember him and Ogri from Bike! magazine very well. Both brilliant characters, dunno if either of 'em are still around though... TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I saw someone wearing an Ogri t-shirt at a vintage motorbike rally recently so he must still be alive and kicking somewhere ;-)

Reply to
SteveG

so SteveG > news:%ogye.62637$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Ogri's fine and healthy (if a little faded) on the wall of a farm building near here - about 10 foot high. There's a mention of LJKS attending events (Motoring Writer of the Year I think) last year on Google, so maybe he's around.

Ogri's Vincent - "crob crob". Paul Smart was a bloody genius. And remember Malcolm?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Ogri has his own web site ...

... complete with on-line shop. Now there's a surprise :-)

Reply to
SteveG

On or around Mon, 4 Jul 2005 19:38:48 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

was still around not that long ago. Try looking for the Motor Cycle in yer newsagents, I've an idea he still had a column in there a bit back.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Richard Brookman came up with the following;:

Paul Sample, wasn't it?

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I'm wearing one as I type.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

I remember his columns in Bike magazine well. I also have a book he wrote called 'Some Unusual Engines', with details of Aspin Valves, Cross Valves, 2-stroke diesels and other interesting perversions.

-- Pete

Reply to
Pete Young

so Paul - xxx was, like...

Yep - you spotted last night's deliberate mistake. Have a coconut.

Paul Smart was a guy I used to work with. It's getting late and I've missed my evening medication.

Doh!

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Richard Brookman came up with the following;:

I also used to work with a Paul Smart, a complete dipstick, in a small company in Nottingham, Cado Special Fasteners, so I don't think it'd be the same PS ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

so Paul - xxx was, like...

Don't think he went to Nottingham, but the rest of the description fits... :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman