OT: newsgroups (was: Re: Ping Beamends - not)

On or around Sat, 7 Oct 2006 00:03:30 +0100, "SimonJ" enlightened us thusly:

> >That would be one way round it, but you shouldn't need to.

says who?

>The whole point of a newsgroup is to ask questions of, or impart information >to, anybody who reads the group.

says who?

and besides, sometimes the information is of interest: suppose someone asks whether Beamends can supply a certain part, and if so at what price. It might well prove that other people will be interested in the answer. For example, I've often noted the answer to a question about a particular part, and thereby saved both my time and Richard's time by not having to ask the same question again.

Granted, Richard has a website, and as such things go it's quite good, but it can still be difficult to find particular parts, especially if you don't happen to know either the part number or the "correct" name.

If you have a question for a specific >person, then contact that person direct, off group. Someone's shopping list >does not need to be public knowledge, and is irrelevant to the group. That's >what email is for.

and if email isn't working for some reason?

Newsgroups are "for" whatever the people using the group want them to be "for". If you don't like a particular aspect, you have choices including ignoring it, killing threads, filtering on subject or poster, or even not bothering to read the group at all.

You don't have the right to prevent people from posting things which are relevant to the group but which you don't happen to like - and you'd have a hard time convincing anyone, even if there were anyone to convince, that questions about LR parts are off-topic in AFL. Come to that, you can't, in any case, prevent people posting etc., as innumerable trolls often prove.

In the case in question, the threads are almost always clearly identifiable by subject and should be easily ignored if they bore you, or to filter for if you can't be bothered to simply skip to the next message or thread. Basically, it's down to every reader to decide what, if any, of the group content they want to read, except of course for moderated groups - which are the only groups where any sort of control is or can be imposed.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

This thread is off-topic and should be taken to email!

Mehehehehe..

Couldn't resist.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I'm staying firmly on the fence on this issue, but may I suggest that the threads in question are only acceptable/useful/whatever because there is only one Richard@b-ends here.

Can't speak for others but I subscribe to a group that discusses matters related to the dark and mysterious world of webmastering - whenever a bod came along to discuss recommendations for web site hosting the damn thread would be jumped on by a dozen hosts all touting their wares. All trying to be helpful? probably, in their own way.

Reply to
William Tasso

On or around Mon, 9 Oct 2006 10:30:26 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

thrrrrpt!

why'd yer think it was flagged OT: ?

sump eeple.

Reply to